ALYSSAD (moniker for Alyssa de Boisblanc) took Hotel Ziggy (a WFNM showcase night) by storm. Per her bio, ALYSSAD is Boisblanc's alter-ego. She is "blending genres to create her unique musical style to showcase haunting vocals" and "grunge aesthetic." I knew I was going to be into her set from the start. Her first song was Jesse Jo Stark's "Fire of Love." I've been a long time fan of Jesse Jo Stark and you can read an article I wrote up for Buzzbands back in 2022. I was thinking, "Yes, more please."
| ALYSSAD at Hotel Ziggy |
She does like to interact with the crowd. At one moment, she was up close to a friend, singing like it was a performance just for one person. When it came to "bitter taste of a god," she told the crowd, "Start clapping." When they responded, she told them, "Good job." It was a fun moment when she mentioned that the next song was from the Twilight movie series, "I'm not a Hayley Williams fan." Everyone in the crowd (other than me) immediately knew what cover was going to be performed. There were some technical issues as her band launched into "Decode." While the band figured things out, she went into the crowd, saying hello to people.
What did I notice: she spent time during the set fiddling with the floor fan. I don't think it was positioned and / or working the way she wanted.
| ALYSSAD at Hotel Ziggy |
What else did I notice: she was dressed in red that was matched with her red microphone. It worked perfectly when it came to her unreleased song "siren."
Okay, one other thing I noticed: after her set, she was off to the side of the stage. A stream of friends headed in that direction. I had to make a wide swing around Hotel Ziggy in order to make it out the door.
Comment of the set: I'm having floor time.
| ALYSSAD at Hotel Ziggy |
The song spotlight goes to "butterf(lies)." After singing the Jesse Jo Stark cover, she told the audience that she was slowing it down just that one time during the set for the song. The song is inspired by Emily from Tim Burton's Corpse Bride.
If there was a different action taken, would it have made any difference in the end? Had I kissed you, would you still be mine?
After the song, off came her platform shoes so she could more easily jump around the venue.
| ALYSSAD at Hotel Ziggy |
Setlist: Fire of Love (Jesse Jo Stark cover), butterf(lies), bitter taste of a god, Lonely is the Muse (Halsey cover), puppetmaster, siren, Decode (Paramore cover), the skin, holy ghost, the dog, stockholm syndrome.
You can catch her next at The Moroccan Lounge on Oct 13th.
the best wfnm show i've ever seen!
ReplyDelete