I try to head out into the DIY Los Angeles music scene a specific number of times a week. On this particular week, I had a couple larger venue events (Bellwether / The Belasco) so there were only so many nights left on the calendar to head out to my various favorite venues (I just can't go to these larger venues, I have to also spend a night writing up articles). For my first DIY night of the week, I took off to Zebulon. Then I was like, I'm going to squeeze in one more night. Yep, that would equate to going out four times in a week.
| Eva Rose at El Cid |
I took a look at El Cid's website and noticed that Eva Rose was holding a sneak peak album party for her sophomore album The Last Laugh. And hey, it looked like there would be a hard stop by 9:30 p.m. or so to allow for a switch over to a 10 p.m. event. I was thinking this is perfect. There are only so many late nights out I can handle -- even if this was on a Friday night.
When I arrived, I rather quickly knew I had made a good decision. First, I crossed paths with Savannah Sgro. I've seen her a handful of times at WFNM. Shortly after that, Fiona Grey and talker (Celeste Tauchar) walked in together. I like the music of all three and so by default there was the assumption that I would like Eva Rose's music.
| Eva Rose at El Cid |
It was a short three song acoustic set, curated from the album. She mentioned that she spend 2 years working on it. The Last Laugh is a breakup album, but "it refuses to be sad." It is about how you can come out better for it. "Turn that poison into medicine."
She kicked off the set with "If You Wanna Be Adored" and the crowd immediately started to sing along with her. "Give Me a Good Reason" is about breaking up with a good guy. A song about hoping that your significant other does something wrong so that you don't look like the asshole, "It's a little unhinged."
Comment of the set: Who listened to the album? If you didn't, lie please.
The Song Spotlight goes to "Isn't It Scary." She mentioned that many in the audience probably found her music via the song. It is currently heading towards 4 million streams on Spotify. The song is about her sudden breakup while she was living in New York with her significant other. She had to move out quick and ended back home in Los Angeles, living with her parents at the age of 25. "My life is over."
| Eva Rose at El Cid |
I do love learning about personal finance so I did find this line of the song amusing (but hey, it is important), "Fighting over credit scores." Was this one of those Bobo (Bourgeois Bohemian) relationships -- fast forward 30 or so years?
A pop song with perfect earworm sounds put on pitch perfect blast. When she hit those high notes, there were cheers of approval. A song about the moment when she is packing up her belongings in New York and thinking about what the future might be like if they'd actually gotten married and had kids.
| Eva Rose at El Cid |
With the son that you'd ignore.
Her friends brought out a cake to celebrate the album release.
She is finishing up a short tour with Rachel Bochner that will stop by the Moroccan Lounge on October 10th (the early show).
Setlist: If You Wanna Be Adored, Give Me a Good Reason, Isn't It Scary.
No comments:
Post a Comment