Monday, April 27, 2020

Quarantine Online Sets: Version 8

April 17th thru April 19th was spent watching a couple of online festivals. The whole weekend was spent watching sets here and there of the Couch LA festival. The one cool thing about this particular festival was that half of the money raised would get donated to The Satellite and The Hi Hat. On Friday night, I was only able to catch Egg Drop Soup. The band played from their 3 homes. Three cameras tracked the band members. I have to say they did a solid playing their punk music from unknown distances from each other.

Egg Drop Soup
Saturday was spent catching The Gooms and Lauren Ruth Ward. The Gooms was a one person show with the other three band members taped to the wall of the shower. I've seen a handful of online sets played in bathrooms. I believe that Early Evil, who played on Saturday, was also in the bathroom. Is it something to do with the acoustics of a bathroom or the best place to play and not disturb the next door neighbors? Lauren Ruth Ward was the last band for Saturday night. Lauren played it up to the camera throughout the set. Amazing music, as always.

The Gooms

Lauren Ruth Ward
On Sunday, many of the bands took it up a notch. Easy Friend is hanging out in the desert. I guess he's officially moved to the desert and out of Los Angeles. He owns property out there and plans to live on around $6,000 a year. That's some minimalist living. His set includes a few minutes of just looking out into the desert as the wind whipped past. Then you could hear the noise of a motorcycle. He road up and started his set. SLUGS did Egg Drop Soup by one. Egg Drop Soup had 3 members playing from 3 locations. SLUGS had 4 members playing from various locations. I can't believe over a year has passed since I last saw that band at the Moroccan Lounge. Dream Phases is writing some new music while in isolation. And played his set in the dark confines of his apartment. Holy Wars really outdid everyone that I caught during this festival. They didn't play live (honestly, not sure if Egg Drop Soup or SLUGS were playing live, either). They put on this great long form music video with a couple cameras and inserted TV shows from the 1950s or 1960s. During the video, they interacted with those watching online via the comments section. It was just super awesome.

Easy Friend

Early Evil

SLUGS

Dream Phases

Holy Wars
Before heading over to Couch LA on Sunday, I spent the afternoon watching bands playing the Live From Quarantine festival put on by Magic Giant. I actually tuned in to catch Meg Myers, but she had technical difficulties and wasn't able to play the festival. The second reason I tuned in was to catch Glen Hansard. I so remember catching the movie "Once" back in 2007. So long ago, but I loved that movie and fell in love with the music. During his short set, he played a few lines of "Falling Slowly." Beautiful. Filling in for Meg Myers was Max who shifted his set forward. He was totally cool with it and did a great job at it. Closing out my time with Live From Quarantine was Shaed. I totally didn't realize that this band sings the song "Trampoline." I swear at times when I hear this song on the radio I figure it is a song by Lorde.

Magic Giant

Glen Hansard

Max
Shaed

No comments:

Post a Comment