Sunday, April 5, 2020

Quarantine Online Sets: Version 4

I caught a couple online sets on Tuesday, March 30th.

Shannon Lay was up first playing in front of a decorative Western/Native American themed blanket. I might have said this before, but her vocals make me flash back to when I first heard Enya's song "Orinoco Flow." I remember hearing that song being blasted and thought it was one of the most wonderful moments I'd had. What makes Enya's songs so wonderful is how she meticulously blends sounds together. Yet, I swear, Shannon Lay can do that all live with just a guitar and her voice.

Shannon Lay

Strawberry Army came up next for Reckless Magazine's music series. This is a band that usually goes punk-pop, but for this set they went acoustic. Playing from their home and with their dad backing them, it was a wonderful experience. Their joy playing was highlighted as usual with arms raised, the occasional hair flip and playing hide and seek with the camera. Yet, what really had me was the acoustic side of their songs. Can I dare say I enjoyed these versions better?

Strawberry Army

On Wednesday, March 31st, I caught Heather Cole. The first time I saw her sing was when she was doing back-up vocals for Michelle Young about a year ago at The Hi Hat. I've wanted to catch her since, but never got around to it. Then came this coronavirus quarantine and I noticed that she was doing some songs with her sister. Great singer-songwriter vocals. 

Heather Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment