Saturday, April 11, 2020

Quarantine Online Sets: Version 5

Talker has been one of the busiest Los Angeles musicians since we went into self-isolation. She's done a number of online sets. Perhaps it is driven by the fact that her birthday was on April 8th (Wednesday) or maybe this is how she's dealing with self-isolation or maybe some other reason. Who knows, but I'm happy she's doing so. I caught a set of her's for the second time on Monday, April 6th. The Satellite must have caught on that Talker (Celeste) has been very busy as they gave her a shout out on their marquee: Support Talker Online.

Screen shot of Talker's Instagram Stories

Celeste
On Tuesday, I decided to catch Echosmith on Billboard's Facebook page. That band has been around for years, but this was my first time catching their pop tunes. One of the amusing things about catching online sets is seeing bands adjusting to this new world of online sets. In order to read the comments, lead singer Sydney left the microphone and went over to camera/video recorder. She'd start talking about the comments, but no one could hear what she was saying as the microphone couldn't pick up her voice. Someone off camera mentioned it to her and so she dragged the microphone over so that she could read the comments and folks online could hear what she was saying. Then, later in the set, someone off-screen handed her a tablet so that she could read the comments.They ended their set with the addictive "Cool Kids" song.

Echosmith
Wednesday was packed. Up first was Lake doing a 15 minute set on Facebook (via Jenn Grant, who from what I can tell is also a musician). The last time I caught this band was in 2012. They're a band from Washington state though I believe one of the members grew up in Los Angeles, if I recall correctly. I remember catching a set for the first time at The Smell way back when. It might have been 2011 or 2012, I don't recall exactly (I know the 2nd and last time I caught them was in 2012). I was just over-whelmed by how their music filled the DIY venue. I know that they played in the Los Angeles area a couple months back, but I wasn't feeling that well. If I had, I would have sent an e-mail offering my camera services. Though the video on Wednesday was of really poor quality, the music was just as great as I remembered.

Lake

Mara Connor was up next on Dash Radio. She played with a No Fun banner above her head, which is the title of her recent album release. Her folk-America tunes have captured my soul for years. She's an artist that I always try to see at least once a year for perhaps 4 years now.

Mara Connor

Then it was off to catch The Living Roomers doing a Buzzbands set. I read on Buzzbands that they're a pop-punk band. Listening to one of their songs online, I'd say that sounds about right. But for this online set, they took it down several steps via an acoustic set. Though I've never heard of The Living Roomers before, I'm eager to catch them live and see their more amped up  performance. What I loved about the set was the creativity behind the set. They played outside in what looked like a backyard. The band was spread out and in front of them were mirrors on the grass. Whomever was doing the filming of the set would occasionally film the reflections of the band members off the mirrors. It was really a cool concept.

The Living Roomers

No comments:

Post a Comment