Saturday, September 22, 2018

The Viper Room: Lauren Lakis, ARSNK and Jane.Machine

I got a random DM from the singer of ARSNK, Thea, regarding checking out a new community called Fierce Femme Sounds. They were holding an event at the Viper Room. I decided to head off to the Sunset Strip. It is a little far from where I live in Glendale, but I figured why not considering the only reason I head to the Sunset Strip is to catch Barb Wire Dolls/Royal Distortion. It would be nice to head over to catch musicians other than those two (which in some ways is one band).

I was in a little bit of a surprise. I'm so used to the sounds of Barb Wire Dolls and Royal Distortion that I was expecting some power rock sounds. I got none of that.

Up first was Jane.Machine who brought some synth driven sounds. She was doing a solo act versus having a backing band with her, but you could get a basic feel for how her full sound is.

What I noticed: this was perhaps the funniest moment of the night. Normally, the Viper Room stage curtains close after a set is finished. After her set, the curtains remained open. Maybe the sound guy was pre-occupied. Jane.Machine literally didn't know what to do. Should she tear down her synths with everyone watching? Well, she decided to go off stage and talk with a friend until the curtains finally closed.

Jane.Machine
ARSNK followed. Her sound switched it up to poetic prose. She was dressed in white and held dead roses close through much of her set. Her set actually reminded me a lot of Wendy Bevan (another Los Angeles local artist -- though she also spends a lot of time in the UK), but perhaps a touch understated in comparison.

ARSNK
Closing out the night for me was Lauren Lakis. Now it was past midnight and I had to drive back to Glendale so I couldn't stay for her full set. However, her initial songs reminded me so much of what one would hear at Hotel Cafe. It was a nice way to end the night.

Lauren Lakis
What I noticed: so this was also an after set situation. After ARSNK ended her set, the co-founder of Fierce Femme Sounds went up on stage with Thea of ARSNK and they gave a brief talk about their new community. They also made it sound like the night was over. As soon as they were done talking, Lauren ran up to the stage to remind them that she was still going on and to let folks know that she was up next. The co-founder realized her mistake and tried to make amends, but the microphone was already cut off. So she made her way to the floor and yelled out that Lauren was still coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment