Friday, September 28, 2018

The Satellite: The Vim Dicta, Broken Baby, Poppy Jean Crawford

It was off to The Satellite to catch The Vim Dicta. The first time I saw them was in 2013 during Chinatown Summer Nights. Strangely, based on my notes, a few days before their set I randomly caught the lead singer on television talking about the high gas prices at the time. I saw them a handful of other times with my last time catching them in 2015. Then they dropped off my map. Then flash forward to 2018 and I saw that they were on the schedule at The Satellite. I circled the date. I even cut out on a dinner with a friend to make sure I didn't miss their set. Their sound goes from fusion jazz to straight out rock. And during their set on this night, I couldn't help but love when the lead singer mugged for the camera.

The Vim Dicta
Broken Baby was holding their record release party. I first saw this band at the Redwood Bar earlier this year. I have to say that The Satellite stage gave the band far more freedom than the much smaller stage of the Redwood Bar. Lead singer, Amber, took full advantage of it. She put on a vibrantly entertaining stage show. They have a wonderful Living Colour genre sound.

Broken Baby
Poppy Jean Crawford closed out the night. She has an aggressive Mazzy Star sound. I know that Mazzy Star is used as an comparison way too much. Let's just say that she has a moody sound that takes on an aggressive tone. The individual running the lights must have felt that moody tone, because for much of the set the lights were dimmed to a low red/blue scheme.

Poppy Jean Crawford


No comments:

Post a Comment