Monday, September 24, 2018

Tarfest 2018: Caught a Ghost, Freedom Fry, Smoke Season and WILD

It was off to Tarfest to catch some bands out in the open air. The last time I went to Tarfest was 2014, I believe. It was time to head back over.

Most of the bands I saw, I've seen before: Caught a Ghost, Freedom Fry and Smoke Season. So the band I was most interested in seeing was WILD. I'm a sucker for pitch perfect vocals. That perfectly applies to Lauren and Zachary, who share singing duties. As I was listening to the band, I ended up thinking Family of the Year, but with a female vocal lead. Also, I'm a sucker for cheerful sounds, which applies so much to WILD (of course, that also applies to Family of the Year.

WILD
Opening the day for me was Smoke Season. I caught this band playing at Echo Park Rising back one month ago. I also caught them playing the Troubadour earlier in the year. Their soul electronic beats are always mixed in with the energy of Gabi. I'll say that Jason, guitar, seemed to be just a touch more energized than normal, as well, during this set.

Smoke Season
Caught a Ghost brought the soul to the late afternoon. They got the crowd to help sing along with a couple songs. Interestingly, as pointed out by lead singer Jesse, the two backup singers have the same name, but spelled differently: Jazmen vs. Jasmine. What I just obsess about when it comes to Caught a Ghost: how Jesse uses his drum sticks.

Caught a Ghost
Freedom Fry closed out the night. Their music brought the festival to a poetic end as the sun set behind LACMA. They also had some of the most fun conversations of the night. The band recently spent time in France -- the lead singer, Marie, is French. There was talk about Marie was trying to teach members of the band how to say things in French. However, the band members didn't think much of it as they said no one can ever understand what the French are saying, anyways. They also amusingly admitted that they prefer Italian food that is served in the US versus in Italy.

Freedom Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment