Thursday, September 20, 2018

Glendale Open Arts & Music Festival

A music festival in Glendale? Well, actually, this was the third year of the Glendale Open Arts and Music Festival. This was my first time going; however. I don't recall why I didn't attend the first two years. Probably other things got in the way, because Gavin Turek played the first year of the festival and why would I miss Gavin Turek? This year, Allah Las and Jesse Jo Stark headlined the event.

Since I live in Glendale, I actually walked to the festival. Perhaps a little long of a walk, considering I was bringing my camera equipment, but still cool to walk to catch some bands instead of always driving -- even if driving means just heading over to Highland Park or Echo Park.

Thumpasaurus opened the day for me. I originally saw this band play Broke LA 2017. On this day, they all wore white overalls. When I walked up, I noticed on the backs of the overalls, the word "Trump." Hmm, they're making a political statement. Then I noticed it said "Thump." Ha ha.

What did I notice: a little kid with a toy guitar got up on stage. One couldn't help but notice that he was paying attention to how the guitarist was playing and was attempting to mimic the movements on his toy guitar.

Thumpasaurus
Georgia Anne Muldrow came up next. I actually missed the first song or two, because she started her set early. I was dehydrated from my walk so went over to Panera Bread to get a lemonade. I walked back over only to discover that she had started her set about 10 minutes early. Part of me was thinking Spike Lee and Blackkklansman while watching her set.

Georgia Anne Muldrow

Jesse Jo Stark was the main reason I headed out to the festival. I actually love the bio that was put up on the website:

Jesse Jo Stark, the brooding singer-songwriter who was one of Guns N’ Roses opening acts last year, performs with a full-throttle voice that growls through spooky lyrics about zombies, spiders, and the terrors of love. American Songwriter magazine compares her to Mazzy Star, and even the cynics at Vice admit she’s on the rise.

"Even the cynics at Vice admit she's on the rise." I love that willingness to punch back a little at the cynics by posting what they state. They're always going to be those who don't like your music so you may as well accept it.

I will also say I think American Songwriter only listened to one or two of her songs. Yes, there is some Mazzy Star in one or two of her songs, but I also think she's willing to blast it out like a true rock star.

Noticed: the wind was blowing a touch and some of the song sheets fell off one of the music stands. I couldn't help but notice how detailed the music sheets were. It just made me love Jesse Jo Stark all the more.

Jesse Jo Stark

Allah Las closed out the night. Fans were packed in for this band that played it cool on stage with their mellow rock jams. You know the fans were out when one of the members was celebrating a birthday and folks at the very beginning of the set were yelling out their Happy Birthday well-wishes.

I have to say I have a long history with Allah Las. I've seen them at two prior festivals from years back: Silverlake Jubilee and Eagle Rock Music Festival.

Allah Las


No comments:

Post a Comment