Like I've been doing for the past couple years, I posted on Instagram the three day Echo Park Rising schedule. I put together the schedule, because I like seeing things a certain way and figure others might have the same preference. Someone made a comment that for the Friday night schedule that I should catch Winn Winn at the Sticky Rice stage.
| WINN WINN at Echo Park Rising |
I am so happy the suggestion was made, because the duo is the married couple Adam Winn and Syd Winn. Adam is in the band SWIMM that I've been following since (I believe) 2015. Also, a side benefit of the suggestion was that I ran across Brittany Matyas for the first time in nearly 2 years. That is definitely a benefit of Echo Park Rising: occasionally catching different projects of bands that you've followed for years as well as running across fellow music fans that you just haven't crossed paths with in awhile.
The band's Spotify bio has a one-liner description of their music, "married duo that love to funk." I would say they also like to drop the dance beats. With the set occurring during the twilight hour, the crowd had reason to dance as the weekend heatwave gave way to a slight, but still noticeable, cooling.
| WINN WINN at Echo Park Rising |
Fact of the set: the couple shared their first kiss at Echo Park Rising 2016.
Moment of the set: Syd tossed her blouse into the crowd right as the tracks said, "Take it off." She also used a folding fan throughout the set that provided stunning visuals . . . and I'm sure helped provide a necessary breeze for her.
The Moment of the set: to end the set, the duo brought up their child, Jasper, to join them for the final song of the night. "We are Jasper's parents." It was a nice trend of the festival where a handful of musicians included their children in their sets. In fact, for the prior band at the stage, Much Prec, a kid ran up onto the stage to say hello to a father (or maybe a family member of a different relationship). The kid wasn't part of the set, but it was a nice child-adult moment.
| WINN WINN at Echo Park Rising |
The Song Spotlight has to go to "Pool Day." Considering how hot the weekend was it is a most appropriate song selection, I say. The following day, Saturday, I swear I drank 18 to 20 cups of liquids -- mostly water. The song is a hypnotizing dance track that had the sweaty bodies of Sticky Rice dancing.
All I want to do is sit by the pool with you.
Setlist: like that, Pool Day, Watching You, Slow Down, Light Me Up, No Candy, give af, Put Me In Coach.
No comments:
Post a Comment