Friday, September 11, 2026

Song Spotlight: Polartropica's Shiny Things (an afternoon at Echo Park Rising, KG Bakery stage)

It was Saturday in Echo Park and Polartropica (moniker for Ihui Cherise Wu) was closing out Echo Park Rising's KG Bakery stage. The stage was outdoors and the temperature was hitting 97. That had Wu telling the kids in the crowd, "You can swim in the pool, if you want." The stage was in the parking lot and someone took the initiative to decorate it up with inflatable palm trees and a kid's pool. 

Polartropica at Echo Park Rising
Polartropica at Echo Park Rising

I do have to say that earlier in the day, Wu provided me with some much needed water. I knew it was going to be a hot day so at around 7 a.m. I drank around 8 cups (the measured amount) of water. That really did no good. My goal at Echo Park Rising was to photograph as many stages as possible. So a little before noon, I was walking pass KG Bakery to head to The Chocolate Dispensary. She saw me and we exchanged hellos. She then offered to get me a cup of water. I eagerly accepted. I drank it rapidly and when I got to The Chocolate Dispensary they luckily had a water dispenser and I filled up the cup twice more. 

I spent the next three hours shooting all over the festival and then showed up again at KG Bakery to catch Polartropica at 3 p.m. Wu was handing out Pokemon cards and handed me a card with her favorite character, Ralts. I am so clueless about Pokemon that when I accepted the card, I was looking at the wrong side of it. I was also suffering from dehydration so there's that excuse. Take it or leave it.

Polartropica at Echo Park Rising
Polartropica at Echo Park Rising

I've had a long history with the artsy-pop singer, covering her for both Buzzbands (Echo Park Rising 2018) and US Rocker Music (Q&A). The band is known for putting on spectacular shows with costume and stage design: similar to Jess Joy / Moon Honey and Kimi Recor / multiple LA bands. Obviously, the opportunity to do that at a music festival was limited. Yet, she was decked out in all pink with a setlist that included Fantasy / SciFi inspired song titles such as "Final Fantasy" and "Terminator II." 

The Song Spotlight goes to "Shiny Things," a collaboration between Polartropica and Gilbert Louie Ray. I've already made mention of the song back in March when I wrote up a song spotlight for Gilbert Louie Ray's song "What I Have Left." A tune that has Wu drifting away from the artsy-pop to merge better with Ray's Americana sound. The lyrics explore a relationship from beginning until end and will surely have you misty eyed.     

Polartropica at Echo Park Rising
Polartropica at Echo Park Rising

Red leaves in fall they turn to dust and then comes winter’s call  

Setlist: In Another Life, Crystal Ramen, Ride or Die, Shiny Things, Final Fantasy, Terminator II, Cupid, Golden Soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment