Thursday, September 24, 2026

Song Spotlight: Annie Jets' Passion (a night at The Airliner Bar)

I've come across the eclectic band Annie Jets (fronted by BreeAnn Getman) three times over the last 2 years and each of those sets were hosted by Rocknite. I happened to write a Song Spotlight of their song "Avalanche" when I first came across the band at The Goldfish. The venue had just relaunched itself with a rather, say it again, eclectic feel and it was my first time at the venue after the relaunch. Unfortunately, the venue decided to move in a different direction and no longer hosts live music (at least on a regular basis). In an appropriate name match, my third time catching the band was at the Airliner Bar. 

Annie Jets at The Airliner Bar
Annie Jets at The Airliner Bar

What did I notice: the setlist was on an unused Hallmark postcard. The Hallmark brand was scratched out.  

What else did I notice: hanging from the microphone, throughout the set, was a 1920s style flat cap. And yes, she did sing with the hat on the microphone. 

Comment of the set: Let her rip. 

The set was to highlight songs from her debut album Dynamiter that will be coming out in November. Also, it gave her a platform to tell a rather disgusting story. Did I hear her say she sleeps in a closet? She mentioned that she happened to inspect her mattress and noticed that the bottom side was covered in black mold. The musician-geologist was not going to let that cause any life frustrations, because she told the audience that it only incentivized her to climb every tree.  

Annie Jets at The Airliner Bar
Annie Jets at The Airliner Bar

She did have the opportunity to climb trees recently. She mentioned that (maybe due to her job or just her love of nature) she spent a month camping in the Sierras. I'm not sure the city-dwellers at The Airliner Bar shared her enthusiasm about spending a month camping in the mountains. Ha ha, I can spend a few days in the mountains, but in a cabin, before I start missing live music. 

The song spotlight goes to the band's recently release "Passion." The song was introduced with the inspiration behind the lyrics, "Trying to convince someone that you love them so hard that it feels like you're manipulating them." The crowd responded with the now inside joke, "Black mold."  

Annie Jets at The Airliner Bar
Annie Jets at The Airliner Bar

The song is a short 2 minute 19 second tune. The lyrics are few lines of poetry. Those minimalist words allows the band to highlight their instrumental talents. Each band member seems to be going off in their own jazz inspired direction. Instead of clashing, it all works together, creating an alternative rocker tune.     

Told you in a passionate way
Couldn't make you stay    

Setlist: Over Grown, Halo, Poleta, Hijack, Passion, AR16.

No comments:

Post a Comment