Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Song Spotlight: JOE LIES' Where the Bees Don't Bite (a night at The Fable -- technically a Adeline and the Philistines song)

I happened to mention back in an April post (a Pisces' Song Spotlight) that In Sonic Dreams was bringing back bands from yesteryear once a month at The Fable. That was not a negative statement, because I have a long history in the music scene and love catching bands that are reuniting after being on hiatus. Jump ahead to September and In Sonic Dreams had another blast from the past. JOE LIES (I will admit I don't think I ever saw this band perform live -- nor an offshoot of the band called Adeline and the Philistines -- though a band member or two did look familiar.) 

Joe Lies at The Fable
JOE LIES at The Fable

The band is fronted by Adeline Leigh and was around between the years 2002 and 2004. This was their first set in 20 plus years. Their setlist included songs from both JOE LIES and Adeline and the Philistines. The band drew in the crowd for their first set in two decades. As soon as Leigh's vocals floated out into the venue's patio, a stream of Gen Xers strolled into the bar, drawn in by a more positive spin on the Pied Piper tale.

Comment of the set: hot and sticky. 

Joe Lies at The Fable
JOE LIES at The Fable

The band blends alternative rock, folk, and country into their music. Leigh's vocals are slight and daydreamy. I wrote down that their music sounded just like Edie Brickell & New Bohemians. Then to end their set, they played the New Bohemians cover "What I Am." Did I start to laugh when they closed out the night with that song? You bet. On rare occasion, I nail it. 

A song was dedicated to a friend who was sitting at the front. The two shared a smile. The band did share plenty of smiles with each other throughout the set. 

Joe Lies at The Fable
JOE LIES at The Fable

The Song Spotlight goes to an Adeline and Philistines tune called "Where The Bees Don't Bite." The tune most aligns with my Edie Brickell & New Bohemians thinking. A desire to go where you don't fear being bitten by bees.

Keep on dreaming until there's nothing wrong.

Setlist: be my little hissy fit, love like thunder, Dream from a Disco Nap, haywire, One More Sip, When Yer Gone, Jolene Ramone, Where The Bees Don't Bite, Soy Como Soy, What I Am (Edie Brickell & New Bohemians cover).  

No comments:

Post a Comment