Earlier this month, Arizona teen rocker Piper Connolly stole the show at Hotel Ziggy (WFNM showcase night). I didn't do much research on the performers prior to heading out. My primary reason was to catch a specific singer who ended up cancelling (I didn't know this until getting to the venue). One will never know when one will be pleasantly surprised when catching indie artists.
| Piper Connolly at Hotel Ziggy |
Her bio says the following about her music, ". . . a rising alt-pop/pop-rock artist making growing up sound cinematic, chaotic, romantic, and real. With sharp hooks, emotional immediacy, and a point of view that feels distinctly present tense . . ." Her fashion sense had me thinking Sunset Strip, soft goth and rock-chic. Before she even started her set, I was immediately intrigued as I saw unpolished* drummer Jasmine Day head towards the drum kit. If someone is joining forces with a member of unpolished*, I'm interested.
| Piper Connolly at Hotel Ziggy |
Scanning through her Instagram account, she recently moved to Los Angeles to pursue her music career. She is keeping up with her education by taking classes online. Come Sep 25th, she released her debut EP she's too much! In another Instagram post, she mentioned that the EP title is inspired by the fact that "a lot of people have told me to my face that I'm just way too much and I need to tone everything down."
I say don't tone it down at all. Her stage performance was confident with a perfect amount of rocker attitude and the crowd responded with cheers throughout. She controlled that stage, turning it into her own dance spot.
| Piper Connolly at Hotel Ziggy |
The song spotlight goes to "unapologetic." The lyrics sound like a response to those who have told her to tone down her personality. The song is a hard rock power ballet that highlights her vocal talents.
i won't change, i don't regret it
She'll be headlining the The Peppermint Club on Oct 7th.
Setlist: bubblegum with razorblades, body bag, better than this, joyride, unapologetic, beautiful life.
No comments:
Post a Comment