Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Zebulon: All Things Blue, SLUGS, Slut Island

I know this night was headlined by All Things Blue, but one has to give it up for Slut Island. They stole the night as the opener. India Coombs, lead singer of All things Blue, had to admit at the start of her set that she included some really funny bands (not to forget about SLUGS) to open the night. Slut Island started the set like any other band would, starting with their first song . . . duh. After finishing it, they stopped. "There's something wrong with our sound," they said. From there they demanded that the sound guy come up and see how bad the sound was. The sound guy (I believe was a friend) went up to the stage and started to make these mimicking sounds into the microphone, playing with the pedal boards, and hitting the drum set with the sticks. "Nothings wrong," he said. The band wasn't happy with that reply so they jumped him and started to choke him. As they continued on their set, they did a song about how smart artists are. They looked out into the audience and said, "If you're not an artist, leave the venue." They then asked that folks who weren't artists should raise their hands. I raised my hand and got the response, "You have a camera." They went to another person and came up with an excuse on why he could stay. Of course, my raising my hand got me in trouble. For the last song, they asked to know who had a birthday and if that person would come up on stage. One person did have a birthday and was more than eager to jump on  stage. That was the only person; however, that had a birthday or was willing to admit it. They wanted another person on stage and started to look around for a forced volunteer. That person just so happened to be me. Maybe if I had stayed quiet about the artist question, I would have drawn their attention or maybe I would have anyways. Either way, my first impulse was to decline, but then no one else was willing to go on stage and so I also felt compelled to help them out. Anyways, on the stage I went. The two of us were asked to sit in front of the drum kit and hold hands while they played their final song. There was some butt shaking going on by the lead singer during that song. And when all was said and done, the person celebrating her birthday got to sit behind the drums while I was handed the guitar. A very comedic and memorable set.

Slut Island

What else can be said about the night other than that long write-up.

SLUGS

SLUGS gives the best side eyes in Los Angeles. If someone is at the other end of that look, one would have to think that she is either amused or bemused. The duo that makes up the core of SLUGS also backed up All Things Blue for the final song of her set. Got to say that All Things Blues definitely loves her guitar, giving it a long tight hug at one point.

All Things Blue

 



No comments:

Post a Comment