Saturday, November 6, 2021

Quick Hit Artist Interview: Slip

Slip at the Lodge Room (shot for Buzzbands)

Interview with the artist. Enjoy:

What is currently inspiring you in terms of music? I feel like this answer changes every so often for me, but there have been some live shows that have been really inspiring to me this year. Idles at the Wiltern was my favorite show in a while. Khruangbin at Desert Daze was like a masterclass at instrumental proficiency. Thom Yorke at the Greek was magical - Radiohead and Thom have been prevailing influences for me for a while, if it wasn't overtly obvious already. Aside from that I've been spinning Prince's S/T record almost daily for the past month.

What is one of your high or low moments and what makes it stand out? I think I need some more highs and lows as I've only played a handful of shows as slip up until now. Hopefully more highs than lows, although you can't have one without the other, I suppose. Get back to me in like a year or two on this one ;)

Own final thoughts: I produced, mixed, and to a certain degree wrote my debut album 'the cost' in track order. A lot of artists will typically write a bunch of songs and then piece it together after - I pieced it together as I went along, knowing that from the day I wrote and recorded track 1 ("the patient," which I wrote and demo'd in two days in my friend's garage). I feel like that went a long way in terms of how the album feels cohesive and has a narrative structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment