Saturday, November 20, 2021

Zebulon: Honey Child with Crook and Dove Armitage

Honey Child was celebrating the release of their "Starving Hearts" album. Claire McKeown fronts the band. I've followed her career since 2011 when I was covering the New Los Angeles Folk Festival and came across this band called Dirt Bird. I was just mesmerized by her operatic vocals. I also came across her in a band called Afternoons where she did the backing vocals. I came across that band in 2014. I then came across Honey Child back around 2016. 

With a 6 member choir and Claire McKeown wearing a black wig, the choir soothed the audience with tenderly sung tunes. There were two music stands on the stage, which I always love seeing. To me, it just indicates a music composition training. A variety of musical instruments were used during various parts of the set: flute, guitars, mini-piano and I believe a French horn (maybe I've got my horn instruments messed up there). 

Honey Child

Opening up the night was Crook. Now the band Crook is pulsating and ear popping. But when Daniel Crook does his solo sets, the music is soft and emotion. It can bring a tear to the eyes. Dove Armitage closed out the night. I don't know how many people in the audience were aware of who Dove Armitage is. Crook opened with his emotional take on life. Honey Child had the opera influence. And then Dove Armitage came out with her death goth look and bondage style. I loved it. I've followed Quincy for a number of years via Cat Scan and then Kevin. To me, it was a nice surprise end to the night, shake things up and send you home.

Dove Armitage

Crook

No comments:

Post a Comment