Monday, August 17, 2020

Quarantine Online Sets: Version 34

After taking a couple Fridays off, Los Angeleno was back on August 7th to showcasing 10 to 15 minute sets starting at 8 p.m. 

Opening up the night from the desert was CJ Miller from the band Dimber. Even though done solo, the music definitely showcased a rock sound. The final song was about finding joy wherever you can find it.   

Dimber


Next up was Midnight Prism. With keys and psychedelic lights, I swear I was watching a cool 80s MTV video. I have to say that the way the lights were used, it made it look like she was floating over a void versus sitting/laying on her floor. Her first single actually came out on Friday night called "Picture of the End."


Midnight Prism


Annabelle Maginnis is someone I've followed for a few years now. She was, in fact, the only person in the lineup that I'd seen before (though I'd heard of Dimber, Nico Turner and Maya Jupiter). She played in her bedroom. The first thing I noticed was a vine that she had growing across the room. To be honest, it gave me an idea of what I should do to bring some joy to my bedroom.

Annabelle Maginnis


Nico Turner had an amusing set. Why? Her dog seemed to want some audience attention. During one song, the dog decided to lay down in front of Nico Turner. Then instead of wagging of the tail, the tail seemed to want to strum Nico Turner's guitar strings.

Under soft purple lights, the online audience got to enjoy the soft changing sounds backed up by an electric guitar.  

Nico Turner

Around the 13 minute mark, the recording froze, but the music continued. I wonder if the dog ever decided to leave it's spot. 

Aalok Bala also played under purple lights. In the room, there were masks (Hindu?) that hung on the far wall alongside a modernist painting. Imagery shadows danced across the wall. Her music looped her vocals, allowing for layered growth in the music. It really had me thinking of Anita Baker. 

Aalok Bala


Closing out the night was Maya Jupiter. She played her recorded set outside a hillside home. There were pine trees for a backdrop. She had a trio of musicians backing her up. Her music had a Latin folk sound to it combined with political rap. 

Maya Jupiter






No comments:

Post a Comment