Saturday, July 18, 2020

Massacre Week for the Los Angeles Music Scene

The coronavirus pandemic hit the Los Angeles music scene hard during the week of July 12th - 18th. Music venues announced that they were closing left and right. The parade of closures started first with Saint Rocke. The owners are putting the location up for sale. I suppose if the right investors bought the property, there is the possibility it might remain a music venue. Who knows, maybe if they can't sell the property and coronavirus becomes a non-issue in say 2021 perhaps they'll just go ahead and re-open. I will admit that I don't think if I've ever been to this venue. It is possible I went there once way back when, but definitely not twice. Yet, hearing the news was more than concerning.

Then there was a Friday massacre. The Satellite and The House of Machines called it quits. The Satellite will switch over to a full-time bar and restaurant. Now at some point they could turn back into a music venue, but how likely will that be as they've torn down the stage and are investing money. Here is part of what they wrote on Instagram:

We are currently removing the stage and redesigning the club to be more of a place to get good quality drinks and food. We will be re-opening the kitchen and doing a complete redesign. Due to the lack of funds, this will not happen quickly. 

We will be opening in the parking lot for food and drinks as soon as we have the kitchen re-opened or the government lets us hire a food truck.

Doing all that takes money. This isn't something that one can go ahead and just switch everything back to a music venue as doing that would also cost money.

This was a big hit for me as I've been going to The Satellite for well north of a decade. All those wonderful memories. In fact, one of the greatest local music line-ups that I've ever seen happened at The Satellite in 2012 when Haim, Cold War Kids and Milo Greene played on a Monday night.

Gustaf at The Satellite (my last time at the venue)

Soon after learning about The Satellite, someone sent me an Instagram IM about The House of Machines. I don't have the same history with The House of Machines as I do with The Satellite. I've only been going to this venue for the last year or so. Yet I would often find myself heading down there just to catch a band.

Their Instagram post said:

To our THoM family and beloved L.A. community – it’s with great sadness that we announce the closure of our store in the Arts District. The ongoing uncertainty in California caused by Covid-19 has left us with little choice.

And honestly, I expect that The Hi Hat will eventually announce that they're closing down. The owner just needs to find a buyer for his property.

Taleen Kali at The House of Machines (my last time at the venue)

No comments:

Post a Comment