Sunday, July 12, 2020

Coronavirus Diary: July 12

It was more movie watching from years past. What was on the TV screen over the last few days? West Side Story. The Defiant Ones. The Seventh Seal. October Sky. The Defiant Ones was the best of the bunch with Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier. By the end of the movie, you were hoping these criminals would find freedom and a fresh start. The Seventh Seal is listed as a Top 100 movie. I found it mediocre. A philosophical discussion with Death. Whatever. Death is cruel. West Side Story was a fun take on Romeo and Juliet. October Sky is the most recent of the movies on the list. When I was working at Universal Studios, I had two posters on my wall: October Sky and Reality Bites. The VP asked why I had those two posters. I said sometimes you dream high and sometimes you realize that reality stinks. I'll have to catch Reality Bites in the near future.

For a period of time, I was very busy in my working-from-home situation. This week was easier with me perhaps working with just half my brain. I got to spend time in the evening going on walks. I've gotten into this one cycle of walking through either Atwater Village or Glendale.

I traveled over to Highland Park for the first time since February. I visited the RockinHotChick-Un food truck. It is a vegan food truck that parks across from The Hi Hat. It is the same owners as the Tacos La Tehaunita food trucks. Those food trucks have shut down as the owners are going to open up a storefront. Amazingly, I hadn't gone to Tacos La Tehhaunita or RcokinHoChick-Un since late January, but the owners still knew my name. That's close to 6 months if you're counting.

Since I'm a Canon camera loyalist, I was eager to watch the launch party for the EOS R5. This is the first mirrorless camera that I've seriously thought about buying. The launch party was great. The Canon photographers were breathless about it. Yet, in the back of my mind, I was thinking: no one is doing any photo comparisons. For me, I'd love to see how the photos are in low light situations -- which applies to me as a concert photographer. I want to know how much better it is when compared to the 5D Mark IV. Anyways, this isn't a camera I'll be buying in the near future. When the music scene comes back sometime in 2021 (hopefully), that will be the time I consider if I want to get the camera or not. It'll be an expensive purchase. I'll need to upgrade to some new lenses and I'll probably need to buy a new computer (which honestly, it probably is time to upgrade my computer). So I really want to see some low light comparisons.








No comments:

Post a Comment