Wednesday, May 8, 2019

April Ends/May Begins: Local Music Blast - Part 2

For me, the Los Angeles music scene during the transition week between April and May was a real blast. This is part 2 of my adventures.

Tuesday night brought Lizzy Land at Madame Siam. This is an artist I've followed for a few years when she was in the band Mating Ritual. She calls her music experimental pop. That sounds good to me. Her sound reminds me of the sounds from IO Echo and CLARA-NOVA. I was just mesmerized throughout her 30 minute set. Backing her was one of the members from Mating Ritual. It is nice to know that they're all supporting each other.

Lizzy Land
Opening up that night was Savannah Sgro and YVR. Interesting notes is that Savannah Sgro was raised in Las Vegas. Moved to Nashville and now I'm assuming lives in Los Angeles. YVR is a recently married couple -- one could see the glow on their faces when that was mentioned.

Savannah Sgro

YVR
Wednesday night I took a break, but was back at it on Thursday night when I headed off to Zebulon to catch Ever So AndroidCrook and Draemings. Interesting fact: I've interviewed all three bands.

Draemings stated they were debuting new music. I don't know. It didn't sound like it. The crowd loved every moment of the set. I loved every moment of the set. If this really is their new music, I have to believe they're going to gain a number of new fans. Okay, I have some "humorous" doubt on the new music claim, because it was all so brilliant. Noticed: Kimi set things off with her leopard imagery and had the crowd renaming the band KIMI!!! KIMI!!!

Comment of the set: We're debuting all new music tonight so hopefully you're not here for the hits.

Draemings
Ever So Android went from a 2-piece duo to a 4-piece band. This only expanded their punk sounds. The one disappointment is that they asked for the lights to be lowered (and the Zebulon already has low lights) and their own stage lights weren't operating properly, which meant my camera didn't have a lot of fun.

Ever So Android

I caught Daniel Crook as a solo artist at The Hi Hat and so this was my first time catching the full band. When you first see the band your eyes have to notice the fashion statement, but when the music hits you are pulled into an emotional vortex.

Crook
Friday closed out the music run. I got invited to an outdoor event called Shaken Vanity Block Party. On the first Monday of each month, businesses around the 500 block of Hoover Street apparently are given free range to do what they like. So one business has an outdoor music festival. I went down to catch Dirty Cakes and Speed of Light. Both bands rocked out their punk sounds. Dirty Cakes brought the punk sounds of experience. Speed of Light brought the punk sounds of youthful exuberance. Both bands are fixtures at the monthly/bi-monthly shows that are hosted by The Satellite at the American Barbershop in Echo Park.

Dirty Cakes

Speed of Light


No comments:

Post a Comment