Wednesday, May 22, 2019

From The Hi Hat to The Satellite: Party Nails, Cannons, Greg Felden and more

There was some good music that hit the Los Angeles music scene a couple weeks back.

Over at The Hi Hat, Party Nails and Cannons closed out their west coast tour. Opening was Somme who just happens to be Party Nails' roommate. I had actually come across Somme in April at The Satellite. Her pop tunes got the night started off on the right foot.

Somme
Cannons came up next. This was my first time seeing Cannons though I happened to hear about the band back in 2017 when some photographers I know caught their Echo Park Rising set. They had their fans out on this night as The Hi Hat filled up nicely for their set. To me, their music had a low key type dance quality to it. I got a Twin Peaks vibe from this band.

Cannons
Like, Somme, this was my second time catching Party Nails. This band brought the dance party to the 11 p.m. hour. I half figured that lead singer, Elana, worked off more calories than I do in a week. She was in constant motion and during that whole time she never had to catch her breath.


A couple days later it was off to The Echo to catch some Grand Old Echo bands. Greg Felden opened up the late afternoon with his Americana tunes. It was also his Made of Strings LP release party.

Greg Felden
Sons of the Southwest came on next. Actually, the band gave part of their time to their lead singer's father who played a couple songs. It was cool seeing a father and son playing the same show.

Sons of the Southwest
It was Game of Thrones night, but I had to stick around for part of the Jessie Williams and Coyote set. I happened to catch one of their sets in 2018 at The Hi Hat. Also, Jessie Williams in in The Lonely Wild. I'm not sure if The Lonely Wild is still active, but they're a band I first came across years ago and have caught their sets a number of times. If they're not active, it is great seeing Jessie Williams continue on her own.

Jessie Williams and Coyote
Jason Hawk Harris happened to be playing between sets out on the patio. I got to pop in and out to catch his country western vocals.

Jason Hawk Harris


No comments:

Post a Comment