Monday, May 6, 2019

April Ends/May Begins: Local Music Blast - Part 1

For me, the Los Angeles music scene during the transition week between April and May was a real blast. This is part 1 of my adventures.

It started off on Saturday at The Smell. All three bands hit the jazz genre.

It's Butter started off the night. Their drummer couldn't make the night as he got injured while getting ready for the night. If I heard correctly, he tripped down the stairs of his home while taking out his drum kit. He had to go to the emergency room (from what I heard he's doing fine) so the band went on as a two piece. The two remaining members weren't sure how things would turn out, but I say their set turned out fine with some electric guitar driven jazz jams.

It's Butter
The Swells brought their 5 piece jazz sound to stage. Their sound had that cool jazz sound. And then there was the saxophone musician who added the style. Though their sound was on the cool side, they still got the crowd to form a mosh pit.

The Swells
Cotton Ships set was mosh pit jazz. This band has some solid vocals led by BreeAnn and Kenny. You can tell that BreeAnn has a charismatic quality. When not on vocals, she would float around the stage with a cool demeanor. And if that wasn't enough, early on into their set, she jumped into the crowd to make sure that a mosh pit formed during the set. I wonder how many times jazz musicians have started mosh pits?

Cotton Ships
Monday night was a night that I had circled on my calendar a long while back. After a long while away from the stage, Lauren Rocket returned. I've followed Lauren Rocket for years. I first came across her band Rocket. Rocket ended shortly thereafter, but I continued to follow her in The Child, which was a band with Holly Marilyn. There was also the short lived project Lavinia Slaughter. Then there was radio silence for a number of years until finally there was announcements that new music was on the way. Her return brought sophisticated dance tunes to The Mint's stage. Backing her in this new endeavor was Shayne Eastin. Another musician that I followed for years when she played in a band called Spider Problem.

Interesting note: it's probably been 5+ years since the last time I was at The Mint.

Lauren Rocket


No comments:

Post a Comment