Tuesday, May 28, 2019

The Hi Hat: Purple Bite night

Purple Bite highlighted some of their current and former clients this past Friday night. The night was filled with variety of sounds and the crowd was filled with familiar faces.

Alicia Blue started the night off with some singer-songwriter sounds. I just recently saw Alicia Blue at a Wild Riot event at El Cid. I didn't even know she was playing The Hi Hat on this particular night and when I saw her coming on stage, I was thrilled. There is something magically about her vocals. And she had the comment of the night, "I've always been an old soul. Interestingly, all my recent boyfriends have been younger than me."

Alicia Blue
Dyllan has a pop sensibility. I happened to cross paths with Mikel of Purple Bite in late April and asked him about his new clients. He mentioned Dyllan. So yeah, I won't lie, Dyllan was one of the main reasons I showed up at The Hi Hat for this event. You can tell she has a passion for music and I can't wait to hear her throughout the years.

Dyllan
Molly Moore is someone I saw last year at Chinatown Summer Nights when she was singing in a band called Cosmos and Creature. Her set on this night brought the dance tunes to The Hi Hat. And I noticed that her guitarist brought her own fans with her. Just before their set was about to begin, a couple friends came over to the stage and gave her some waves and love.

Molly Moore
Magic Bronson turned up the funk volume. Or is it funk? I find it hard to describe their music. It is a sound that makes you want to Pogo dance. It is a sound that makes you want to form a mosh pit. Though no one formed a mosh pit, you could see folks in the audience having big smiles and going just a bit wild in their dance moves.

Magic Bronson
Georgi Kay is someone I've seen on various bills throughout Los Angeles for a while now. I've also seen her hanging out at various venues. I've just never gotten a chance to catch a set. Well, on this night, I got to do so. She's a one person show with her electric drum, computer and vocals. It was one enjoyable set.

Georgi Kay
Closing out the night was the Yip Yops. The Yip Yops have gone from a four piece to a two piece as two members of the band decided to head off to college. Yep, this band is still very young. I believe when I first came across the band, at least one of them was still 16. On this particular night, the floor lights flashed bright and the music was electric with slamming drums and guitar riffs. We'll have to see if they stick with the two piece or eventually add in new members.

Yip Yops

No comments:

Post a Comment