Monday, April 9, 2018

Weathers, Smoke Season and Groves at the Troubadour

I got an invitation by Smoke Season to do some photography at the Troubadour. It is always fun to photograph Smoke Season. Gabrielle Wortman, lead singer, really throws herself into her sets. And this time was no different. In fact, she took a couple leaps into the air from various locations. I'm not sure I've ever seen her do that and was a bit disappointed I wasn't better prepared for that potential. Their electronic-inspired sound had the crowd pressed up close to the stage.

Smoke Season
Weathers was the headliner. This was my first time seeing them. Their sound has some nice hooks to it. I love how the drummer slammed those drums with his full body. And the lead singer's vocals are pure emotion. Since this was my first time seeing them, it was interesting watching the audience that was there for them. Folks at the front knew the words for a number of the songs. After their set, folks hung around hoping for an encore. And one young woman jumped on stage to grab a setlist. She was chased off by security. Oh well, good attempt.

Weathers
Groves opened the night. I've seen them twice in the past. Once at The Hi Hat. And another time at the Resident. I'm not going to lie, their music is hitting new highs. They, as a group, had a far more cohesive sound than I remember from my past two times seeing them. They're definitely learning how to play off each other.

Groves

No comments:

Post a Comment