Sunday, April 29, 2018

Broke LA: Day 2 Highlights

FYI: I'm also doing cross-promotion over at CaliforniaRocker.com for Broke LA Fest.

This year, Broke LA Fest shifted from warehouse locations to DTLA's Regent Theater and surrounding areas. The festival also expanded from one day to two days. This expansion just meant more time to explore the local music scene as presented by the staff of Broke LA.



Some Day 2 Highlights:

Amusing Moments with Super Fan: Sizzy Rocket

She danced her way across the stage like Lady Gaga probably would.

Lyric of the set: You say you want to meet me in the Champagne Room.

I was standing on one side of the stage, taking photos, when a super fan came rushing towards me from my blind side. When she came up to me, she shoved me away from the stage. Hmm. I decided to stay out of her way and moved to the other side of the stage. A few moments later as I was looking through the photos on my camera, another shove came via my blindside. There was just no where near the stage to stay. I moved away from the front of the stage for the rest of the set.

Sizzy Rocket
Dawson's Creek Set: Small Forward

Am I the only one who sees James Van Der Beek when looking at the lead singer?

While watching this band inside the Love Song Bar, I was brought back to when I took a vacation in Iceland. On my first day in Iceland, I ran across a music festival of singer-songwriters that was held across various bars and outdoor areas across Reykjavik. What pleasant memories rushed back while listening to Small Forward.

Small Foward
Double Duty: Blushh

This band is fronted by Shab. I've crossed paths with her a number of time throughout the years. Not as a being part of a band, but various times while she was doing photography or promoting an event. This time she had some double duty going on. Not only was she running the Love Song Bar stage, but she was also played a set on that stage.

Comment of the set said with a guitar pick in her mouth: That was not Radiohead.

Blushh
Fans fans fans: CLARA-NOVA

She brings the sophisticated to her lyrics. Who can't love the lyric: I trace the constellation.

And there are those power vocals backed by bass and synth vibrations.

Oh, and the fans. As soon as the set ended, her fans came up one by one to say how much they loved her set. Others came over, wanting her to sign their CLARA-NOVA purchases. She was barely able to tear down her music equipment to make way for the next band.

CLARA-NOVA
Hanging outside: Flavia

Comment of the set: My name's Flavia. Yeah, that's my name.

Comment of the set 2: This song is for all the exes that stayed too long.

She brought the electronica sounds to the Outdoor Stage. I previously caught her at Hotel Cafe about a year ago. I was hoping for some LED shoes, but I guess that wasn't going to happen at 3 p.m.

Flavia
It's Sunday, Time for Church? One High Five

The whole set was like watching a good old Southern Baptist pastor holding a religious revival. Or an African American church service where hands are held high. The whole set brought out the desire to hold out your hands and give praise to the band.

One High Five








No comments:

Post a Comment