Friday, April 27, 2018

Broke LA: Day 1 Highlights

FYI: I'm also doing cross-promotion over at CaliforniaRocker.com for Broke LA Fest.

This year, Broke LA Fest shifted from warehouse locations to DTLA's Regent Theater and surrounding areas. The festival also expanded from one day to two days. This expansion just meant more time to explore the local music scene as presented by the staff of Broke LA.




Some Day 1 Highlights:

Broke LA Solid Repeat: Salt Petal

I caught this band two years back at Broke LA. It was nice seeing this band again. They sport a trombone and a cow bell and the band is made up of members that come from Argentina, California, Virginia and Wisconsin. All those states and country are near bodies of water. That must be the reason why one thinks of drinking a pina colada on the beach when hearing this band.

Salt Petal
Energizer: Jen Awad

I only caught 3 songs of Jen Awad. Yet those three songs had some power energy. She gives you her in-your-face take on love and sex.

Jen Awad
Funny Comments: Dana And The Wolf

Random mid-set comment, "My dog punched me in the eye last night."

As the lead singer was attempting to get the early crowd to come closer to the stage, "Omenihu [previous musician who got the even earlier crowd to come up to the stage] has a lot of authority in his voice. I won't bite."

Dana And The Wolf
Passion: Alexander Vincent

Who brought the passion to Broke LA? That would be Alexander Vincent. He was dressed in simple, but refined black color fashion. With a drum kit and keys, he presented us with the look of a stoic talent.

Alexander Vincent
Toys and Painter Garb: Soul Bandit

This was one fun set. The artist had a suitcase filled with toys that she used throughout her set. And she was dressed like a painter. One could almost feel like one was on the streets of Paris.

Soul Bandit
Two Years:  NKRIOT

Two years ago, NKRIOT came up to me at the Silverlake Lounge and suggested that I check out his set. Two years later and I saw that he was going to play Broke LA. Of course, I had to make sure I caught his set.

He was in perpetual motion over his synth. His fingers flying all over the place. During this whole time, I started to focus on his sports coat. How was he not fainting in the heat of the Love Song Bar?

NKRIOT
Wedding Dressvōx

She wore a white wedding dress. The bright lights and wind machine that lifted the back of her veil train set for a mysterious setting. It was nice to just stand back and watch her arm movements.

Lyrics of the set: Cry me a river, you nearly drove me out of my head.

vox

.


No comments:

Post a Comment