Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Royal Distortion and friends at The Viper Room

It was off to the Viper Room for the first time in years. For the past few years, my time on the Sunset Strip has been confined to the Whisky a Go Go. How did I end up going to The Viper Room? Well, Royal Distortion was playing a Wednesday night residency there throughout the month of March. And well, Royal Distortion is fronted by members of a favorite band of mine called Barb Wire Dolls.

There were five bands playing on this final night of the residency. EarthsleepDouble CobraJason Achilles MezilisRoyal Distortion and Vigil of War.

It all started off with Earthsleep hitting the stage at 7:30 p.m. (The Sunset Strip venues love their early start times.) Lead singer Cindy knows how to scream it out. What did I notice? At one point, she put on some skeleton dance moves. What did I notice going through my photos after the night? One photo I captured had Cindy licking her hand. If anyone knows the band, they know that Cindy goes by Girlwolf. It all connects.

Earthsleep
Double Cobra came up next with a high energy sound that one would expect from a Sunset Strip band. I initially wasn't sure what the band's name was. When they were announced, I swear I heard Double Cover. Then I thought I heard Double Poker. Comment of the set, "Narcissism is at an all-time high . . . said the lead singer." For this being the band's third set ever, they put on a solid show.

Double Cobra
Jason Achilles Mezilis was up there by himself and his drummer. I swear he was the busiest musician playing in Los Angeles that night. He had loops going on all over the place. He'd play a few bars on his keyboard. Then he'd rush over to his guitar. Then he might jump over to the bass. Half my time during the set was spent thinking, "Is he going to make it to his next instrument in time to keep up the sound?" Noticed: Half his body from his feet to his face were covered in Tron-like drawings.

Jason Achilles Mezilis
Then it was time for Royal Distortion, the new Barb Wire Dolls project. Dare I say that Royal Distortion is a new mature sound for the members of the band. IQueen still puts on an amazing front woman show. What would a band fronted by IQueen be without her high energy? But let's also say the sound is pure energy bliss. What I found amusing about myself? I keep wanting to call the band Blond Ambition. I have no clue how I go from Royal Distortion to Blond Ambition.

Royal Distortion
Closing out the night was dressed in black Vigil of War. Their set was less than the standard 30 minutes and it left me wanting more. When I think Sunset Strip, this is the type of band I'm thinking about: heavy on the mascara to present a bit of the dramatic death look, but then just a touch of a smile that pops up when the music is going perfect -- just to let you know not to take the look too seriously. I can't wait to catch this band again.

Vigil of War


No comments:

Post a Comment