Saturday, April 7, 2018

Stonefield's Bootleg Theater Residency with Uni and Grave Flowers and the Bongo Band

Sometimes I'm just not in the know. I have to admit that this was the case this past Monday night. I figured there would be a decent size crowd at the Bootleg Theater, but I wasn't expecting to be part of 10+ photographers. Honestly, on residency nights at the Bootleg Theater, I'm usually just one of two photographers.

The photographers weren't there just to see Stonefield. They were there early to catch a band called Uni, from New York City. Uni had played The Lodge Room alongside Starcrawler a couple days prior. That must have driven some buzz, because I couldn't even get my favorite photography spot, stage right. Two photographers went straight for the spot. There were so many photographers, I turned to one photographer and said, "I've never seen so many photographers here before." She laughed and said folks were here to see Uni. She then said something that I didn't hear, but then I did hear, "Just make sure you know where the exits are."

Can one say that Uni is slow metal? Is that even a genre? Their music had this metal sound, but at the same time it was relaxed. Even the band members seems relaxed on stage. Their stage show was very entertaining, but on the other hand, it was with such a relaxed feel that one could think they were working in slow motion -- or maybe just a drug induced haze. Oh, that comment by the photographer . . . towards the end of the set, the lead singer took out a bottle of hairspray (or something similar) and a lighter. Yeah, a fire starter.

What I learned later: Band member Charlotte Kemp Muhl is a model.

Uni
Grave Flowers and the Bongo Band came on after that fire show. Three band member sitting on chairs, playing in a meditation manner. It looked like a bunch of guys playing around a camp fire. Yep, they were the band jamming in the middle of the night and we in the audience were their friends listening to their tunes, surrounded by the sounds of crickets and fireflies.

Grave Flowers and the Bongo Band
Stonefield is the residency band. They just so happen to be from Australia. The photographers didn't leave after Uni. They stuck around for Stonefield, as well. I couldn't help but wonder if this is how many photographers are going to be around each night of their residency. If so, there will be far fewer photographers hanging out at other venues throughout the week. This band has a '70s vibe. They're four sisters who jam it in a psychedelic manner. In some ways, I also couldn't help but think of local bands such as Warpaint and Pinky Pinky. Why? There just seems to be presentation similarities. The guitarist for Stonefield has a stance that just reminded me of Warpaint's Theresa. And like Pinky Pinky, the guitarist carries much of the vocal load.

Yeah, Mondays in April at the Bootleg Theater is going to be the big ticket item.

Stonefield

No comments:

Post a Comment