Saturday, October 26, 2019

Madame Siam: Kevin, Cuffed Up, Tom Speight and Asa Ey

I went to Madame Siam to catch Kevin and Cuffed Up. Why? I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to Kevin. And one of the members of Cuffed Up is Sapphire Jewell who I first came across in the band Gypsum and I'm addicted to all things Gypsum.

Though those were the bands I went to see, I have to say that I was also blown away by the first artist up, Tom Speight. He was joined on stage by Lydia Clowes. As I was listening to his set, I immediately started to think of the movie Once. The music was just that beautiful. Unlike the movie, Tom mentioned that Lydia and him are not dating.

There were plenty of references to pop culture. He mentioned that his music was featured on Love Island in the UK and the Bachelor in Germany. And when he had some guitar strap issues, he told the crowd, "I wish I had one of those Men in Black zappers so that you could forget the last 3 minutes."

Tom Speight
Cuffed Up hit the stage with some sped up rock sounds. Lyrics are spit out quickly. Music is like being in a car that has the horsepower to push you back into your seat. And then the best moments are when Sapphire takes her fingers and just slides up and down her guitar strings.

Cuffed Up
Kevin plays their sets in different configurations. Sometimes Kimi and Quincy play next to each other and other times they play on different parts of the stage. I think I love them most when they're playing next to each other. There's just a joy with how they play off each other. They both brought out the synths for this set and there were a couple times when they stretched over, playing the other's synth -- with their shoes.

Kevin
Asa Ey had the sex appeal going. Two female friends showed up, dancing away throughout the set.

Asa Ey
Tom Speight, Cuffed Up, and Kevin stepped off the stage for their sets - a nice trend for the night. Tom Speight had the early crowd surround him and turn the lights from their phones on. Cuffed Up and Kevin danced in total abandonment.

No comments:

Post a Comment