Thursday, October 10, 2019

High Tide DTLA: Disco Shrine with Kit Major

I've known Disco Shrine (Jessica) for over 5 years now. She used to work the music festival Brokechella/Broke LA for a number of years. She was always someone who would help me with my photo pass. So when I learned she was throwing a party to celebrate the release of her music video Alright, I didn't hesitate to show my support.

Disco Shrine
Of course, getting to High Tide to provide my support was a bit of an adventure. I parked my car a bit too far away and found myself walking through the darkened part of 4th Street. It was basically a lot of store fronts that had closed up for the night. It wasn't exactly a safe feeling walking towards High Tide, but I did make it. And I made sure to take a totally different path to my car after her release party.

The party featured a number of fun little booths/tables where one could get cotton candy and get your tarot cards read to just name a couple of the booths. There were also a couple individuals working in an enclosed protected area, creating decorative glass. It was fascinating how they were making their glass jars.

Kit Major
When it came to the live music, Kit Major opened things up with her pop-dance sounds. After a short set by Kit Major, Disco Shrine hit the stage. She was introduced as the Persian Barbie, which referenced her song Alight. When you see Disco Shrine doing a set, you know you're going to get a set of constant dance moves and cheer. You can't help but feel like bouncing with her dance tunes.

She ended the set with the video of Alright. It is probably best for her to explain what the takeaway should be from the video:

I just released my new music video for ‘Alright’! I'm so excited to share it with you and can't wait to hear what you think of this Barbie dream world we created. It features a bunch of badass babes reading magazines, playing nintendo, snapping polaroids, breaking into choreographed dance sequences, and skating through clouds in a y2k themed sleepover. It's proof that girls can appreciate a cliche without being one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment