Friday, August 20, 2021

Zebulon: Flaccid Mojo

I do believe that Zebulon is the last music venue in Los Angeles to open up. They finally opened up their doors on Wednesday, August 11th. And on Thursday, August 12th, it was the return of live music. I was hanging out at WFNM to catch some bands and then rushed out. It was a rush from West Hollywood to the edges of Frogtown. I wanted to at least capture one band that was playing Zebulon on this night.  

The band I caught was Flaccid Mojo, the final band of the night. The duo are members of Black Dice. (From what I can tell, Flaccid Mojo does not have an Instagram page so I can't link directly to them.) First off, the band had images shown on the screen behind them. As can be imagined by the band name, there were a lot of penis images. Anyways, the two members of the band used electronic synths to create the most hard punk sounds imaginable. It was electronic, scratchy, somewhat irritating like a finger nails down a chalk board, head slamming, wild music one can hear. Yes, it was disturbing and triumphant all at once. 

Zebulon was rather packed for the band. What a perfect way to re-open Zebulon, which to me is known for bringing in bands that are well known across Los Angeles and mixing in nights of experimental exploration. 



No comments:

Post a Comment