Saturday, April 10, 2021

Online Quarantine Sets: Version 91

After taking a lengthy break from their online presence, School Night finally returned for the first time this year. They changed things up a little from their 2020 shows. Instead of just having pre-recorded shows, they included some live interviews. Also, instead of having just one show a week, they are aiming to have 2 shows a week. On Monday, their host was Bevan, a musician out in the UK. It didn't exactly go over all the smoothly due to technical glitches, but he took it all in stride. The night started off with him singing one of his songs. I noticed that he sings at a higher pitch than his talking vocals. 

Then up came Kings Elliot. She's from Switzerland who is currently based in London. Her music had a meditative feel to it. The room that she used to record her music had electric candles to help with that feel. Her keyboardist played with a light touch. Her music had that feel of watching a movie where the lead character walks down a road and slowly disappears in the distance after having learned a philosophical truth. "I'm Getting Tired of Me" was the title of one of her songs. 

Bevan

Kings Elliot

During her set, plenty of technical issues popped up. During her first pre-recorded song, Bevan's live voice could be heard. And then when he attempted to interview Kings Elliot, his Internet connection was so bad as well as the fact that this might have been his first time on Twitch that it all fell apart. For parts of the time, only one of them could be heard and Bevan actually had to message questions over. Technological issues made it all very amusing. 

Interlaced in all this was Mamas Gun, a band also from the UK. They had an 80's vibe mix of R&B and pop. I feel like they could do a perfect cover of "On My Own," Patti LaBelle's song that featured Michael McDonald. The five members of the band were playing from different locations. I am always impressed how people are able to play together from different locations. I suppose I shouldn't be due to the fact that there is something called the Internet, but I am still shocked. I mean, when I'm on Microsoft Teams or Zoom, it doesn't exactly seem like ideal situation and yet musicians are able to play music together from different locations.

Mamas Gun

On Wednesday, Chris Douridas of KCRW took over the reigns from Bevan. The glitches had been worked out. The night started off with a make good to Kings Elliot and they brought her back for a non-glitchy interview. Opening the night on the music front was New Dad from Ireland. As with Kings Elliot, they were available for an interview with Chris. When asked what time it was in Ireland, they said, "Half One." I think Chris was totally unsure what that meant so he said, "12:30 a.m." Someone in the comments said that it was 1:30 a.m. So now those of us in America know how those in Ireland give the time. This might be useful should I ever take a vacation in Ireland. Their music had a gothic rock sound, but was off-set with a stage that used vibrant colors. In the background, I noticed that they had a "The Simpsons" blanket. Nice to also know that "The Simpsons" are watched in Ireland. We got to learn that their band name was generated by using Band Name Generator. 

New Dad

Up next was VIAA. I am very familiar with this US based musician, having seen her a couple of times. Also, of the bands / musicians that I saw over the two nights, she was the only US based artist. And then, just as I was settling in to watch the set, I got a work call via Microsoft Teams. Shoot. Anyways, I missed much of music except for her final one, which was about an aversion to social media. I just love her vocals. I also caught the fact that she was doing the interview from Dayton, OH. I hope she hasn't permanently moved from Los Angeles.

VIAA



No comments:

Post a Comment