Monday, December 21, 2020

Quarantine Online Sets: Version 73

Way back in 2013, I first came across Cori Elliott at the Chinese New Year Festival in Chinatown. She was playing a set with her band, The Vim Dicta. Interestingly, I also saw her being interviewed on a local news station regarding the high gas prices that hit us during the time. I loved the band's sound and caught them on occasion, seeing them once in both 2014 and 2015. Then they fell off my radar. Fast forward to 2018, and I noticed they were playing a set at The Satellite. I made sure I got to catch their set. How did I let so much time pass between seeing them? Well, apparently, they had taken a break and that was their first set in a couple years.

I'm not sure the band played since that time, but I kept my fond memories of the band.

Fast forward to a few days back and I noticed that the lead singer, Cori Elliott, was scheduled to play a midday set on WFNM. One had to know that I was making time to catch the set. It was a short 12 minute set with her playing three songs: "Eyes," "Crutch," and "Too Far Gone." The songs had a moody tone to them via the use of the bass keys on the piano with dashes of hope via the xylophone. 

Her last song "Too Far Gone" will have you in tears. Here's part of the lyrics:

Well I’m too far gone I’ll take the train straight home Please remind me what happened in the morning

Always mad at the feeling Night will end and day begin again Got in your car and on the highway Let’s let the road be our savior again

But I’m too far gone I’ll take the train straight home Don’t remind me what happened in the morning Don’t remind me what happened in the morning Don’t remind me what happened in the morning.

Two people, going their separate ways. One by train and the other by car. Let's talk in the morning, but then maybe we shouldn't. Just the sense of loss and emotional emptiness. Just makes one tear up.



No comments:

Post a Comment