Thursday, December 31, 2020

2020 Los Angeles Music Scene in Review

I’ve always done a year-end round up of my favorite “new to me, but maybe not new to you” lists. Well, let me go in a different direction this year end for obvious reasons. 

2020 in Review 

#20 Pink Sock / Echoplex 

Let’s start things off with Pink Sock. Anyways, a few years back, I got stuck outside The Echo without a photo pass. A quick e-mail was sent to one of the bands that was playing that night. Down came said drummer to rescue me. 

When this is all over: I’m going to see Emily Kinney in concert. Hold me to it.


Pink Sock

#19 Ariel Beesley / Echoplex 

A photo from her birthday show. Is it too early to say happy birthday for 2021? 

When this is all over: I’m buying myself a Canon EOS R5.

Ariel Beesley

#18 SHIRAGIRL / The Satellite 

This will be me (?September 2021?) when I head inside my first concert venue in over a year. 

When this is all over: yes, I am betting September 2021 - hey, it used to be Q1 2022. 

SHIRAGIRL

#17 Wax Charmer / The Satellite 

Going through my photos, this band really knows how to put on a performance. I love how the band interacts together as well as individually. 

When this is all over: will this be all over before or after Echo Park Rising 2021 is supposed to occur? 

Wax Charmer

#16 Automatic / The Glass House / shot for Buzzbandsla 

Buzzbands had their list of concerts they wanted covered for the month of January. There was a mini-music festival going on at The Glass House that was on the list. I noticed that Automatic was on the line-up. I also hadn’t been to The Glass House in years so I put my name in to cover the show. I left my “real” job at around 3:30 p.m. and just sat in traffic on the 210 Freeway. Part of me just started thinking I should send Buzzbands an e-mail and apologize that I just didn’t realize how bad traffic was and I wouldn’t be able to get to cover the night. Also, add that I was under the weather, which was totally true. But at the same time I was thinking, “I really want to see Automatic.” 

When this is all over: I’ve got to catch Jenny O, Mara Connor and Pu$$y Cow at least once. Traditions need to restart. 

Automatic

#15 Ceremony / The Glass House / shot for Buzzbandsla 

I can’t wait to see music fans in pure ecstasy again. 

When this is all over: I’ve got to shoot at The Glass House at least once.

 
Ceremony

#14 Strawberry Army / Bootleg Theater 

This band is fun to shoot. Tell me I’m wrong. 

When this is all over: How many times will I see Black Flamingo, Brassbox, Draemings and Kevin?
 
Strawberry Army

#13 Kate Clover / Bootleg Theater 

Every so often back in the day I’d run into Kate Clover hanging out at Zebulon. Those were the days. 

When this is all over: Who wants to open up a music venue? 

Kate Clover

#12 Neon Cowgirl / Club Tee Gee 

One of these days The Child should do a set. Just throwing that out there. I love the biographical lyrics of Neon Cowgirl. 

When this is all over: I do hope Livingmore asks me to photograph one of their sets. 

Neon Cowgirl

#11 Cheekface / The Satellite 

Do you know they have a song called “Glendale?” Do you know I live in Glendale? There are actually other local music scene folk who live in Glendale. I’m not sure Cheekface likes Glendale. I’m not sure I like Glendale. 

When this is all over: I’ve got to catch in-person some of those musicians/bands I saw on Home School (aka School Night) and WFNM. 

Cheekface

#10 Tillie / The Geometro Party 

That time I got invited to an underground party. Yeah, that doesn’t happen that often. 

When this is all over: I might travel beyond a 5 miles radius from where I live.

Tillie

#9 The Walks of Life / Highland Park Bowl 

One year during Echo Park Rising, I did a long walk over to Cosmic Vinyl to photograph a couple random bands for Buzzbands. I came across Sam Marine (The Walks of Life). I was impressed. 

When this is all over: How many music venues will still be around? 

The Walks of Life

#8 Broken Baby / The Satellite 

This is the last time I went to The Satellite. Perhaps this photo is just perfect. From my count 6 music venues have shut down (perhaps one or two of them might manage to re-open at other locations). For the life of me, I can’t figure out how other venues are able to hang on with no revenue over the last 9 months. 

When this is all over: I caught a couple online sets of Skullcrusher. I really want to see a live set. 

Broken Baby

#7 The Mulhollands / Viper Room 

I have two all time favorite Los Angeles music scene bands: The Mulhollands and Automatic Music Explosion. Even though these bands shut down years ago, I bet that they still rank as the bands I’ve seen the most times. This night at the Viper Room was a reunion show for The Mulhollands. I hope another one happens again someday. 

When this is all over: I’ll get my #quickhitbandinterviews going on a more consistent basis.

The Mulhollands

#6 The Shakers / Viper Room 

Lead singer Jodie has moved out of state. But it was like the band had never stopped playing live sets. Magic at the Viper Room. 

When this is all over: Take a trip and explore another city’s music scene. 

The Shakers

#5 Sofie Winterson / Zebulon 

February 25th. This was the last time I stepped inside a music venue. I purposely put a hold on my live music outings a couple weeks sooner than I had to. Zebulon was part of the Red Alert campaign on Sept 1st. I do hope they survive. 

When this is all over: Shoot some shows for Buzzbands. 

Sofie Winterson


#4 Michael Crain / “Six at Six” series on Instagram Live / curated by @the6660s

I got asked if I wanted to photograph a “Six at Six” series. Outdoors. Check. Masks. Check. I was in. 

When this is all over: Do some interviews for CaliforniaRocker. 

Michael Crain

#3 Fart Barf / Echo Park Rising / Bands in a Barbershop stage 

Echo Park Rising went virtual this year. I got to capture one set live. 

When this is all over: hangout at the front of the stage with four or five other photographers at a local music venue, not shooting for a music site or similar, just shooting because we love the band. 

Fart Barf

#2 Mars Rodriguez / “Six at Six” series on Instagram Live / curated by The 6660s 

I do believe Mars Rodriguez ties as the band / musician I’ve seen most “in-person” in 2020. How many times? Twice. I purposely made sure I got to see her a second time. Love her one person sets. I do find it a little amusing that the most times I’ve seen a band / musician in 2020 live is just twice. Usually, there are bands / musicians that I’ll see 5 or 6 times. Maybe because like Livingmore, I’m one of their go to photographers. Or a Ramonda Hammer or Spare Parts for Broken Hearts where they’re part of the Los Angeles music scene that I am most associated with. Or a Kevin that is just too cool not to see multiple times. 

When this is all over: I want to find a band before the swarm of photographers descend on the band, just want to be one of the first. 

Mars Rodriguez

#1 Joshua Payne Orchestra / Los Angeles River 

I wear a mask while exercising in this COVID-19 world and I’ve learned one thing about wearing a mask while exercising: walking up hills around my neighborhood is very difficult to do while wearing a mask. My lungs just don't get enough air. So I switched things up and started walking along the Los Angeles river, which doesn’t require as muchexertion on my part. Well, one day, I came across a musician who was in the process of packing up his gear. Then a couple weeks later, I saw him again, packing up his gear. I decided to go over and ask for his name. And that’s how I came across Joshua Payne Orchestra. 

When this is all over: I need to ask Feels for a photo pass.

Joshua Payne Orchestra

No comments:

Post a Comment