Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Quarantine Online Sets: Version 23

Friday night, June 19th, was the creative Los Angeleno sets. I say creative, because as I've mentioned before, artists pre-record their 8 to 15 minute sets. Opening the night was NIGHTJACKET doing a full band set. What beautiful sounds from this 5 member band. I need to catch a live set. It looked like two members of the bands were playing at their own homes while three were playing in a studio. The keyboardist was wearing a mask while the singer and guitarist weren't, which half makes me think they live together? Just well thought out music. 

Nightjacket

Jeremiah Chiu had the synths going that always has me thinking San Francisco 2013. Yet, there was a much more soothing use of the synths. A transformation of that San Francisco binary type use of the synths. He used a background video of spider webs, a home, frying of food to accentuate his sound. At the end, he wrote "thx" on his phone screen.

Jeremiah Chiu

Taleen Kali played a solo set from a roof top building. For a brief moment, one could hear a motorcycle driving down in the street below. And the wind came whipping through every so often, sending her hair flowing. 

Taleen Kali

Lucy & La Mer is one of my favorite bands in Los Angeles. To me, she's shifted her sound from folk-pop to a more straight pop sound. Yet, for this set, she shifted her set back to that original folk-pop sound that had me fall in love with her music. She opened the set with my favorite, "Honey, Put Your Weapons Down," which talks about a painful moment in a relationship.

Lucy & La Mer

Closing out the night was Yung Student Loans, which ran into an unfortunate situation with Facebook (the corporation). This is the second time I've noticed something like this happen in this online world. The first time was on Instagram with Molly Moore who was cut off from Instagram Live for doing a Brittney Spears cover. This time, for Yung Student Loans, the vocals were just silenced. From what I read on Facebook, Facebook told Los Angeleno that they "didn't have the rights to post" the video. Life in the Internet world.

Yung Student Loans

No comments:

Post a Comment