Monday, June 4, 2018

The Hi Hat: Reptaliens, HOTT MT and Samira Winter

My primary reason for heading off to The Hi Hat on this specific night was driven by HOTT MT. I first came across HOTT MT when they played Broke LA in 2014 (it was Brokechella at the time). Then I got to see them again in 2016. They were the first band to respond to my #QuickHitBandInterview, which get posted on this blog. So I obviously have a soft spot for this band even though I apparently see them only every two years.

What did I notice about HOTT MT: they brought this contraption that they put together on stage. It held a projector and a plastic board that was shaped like an isosceles trapezoid. Throughout their set, they projected images against the plastic board such as a robot playing a keyboard. It worked well with their Twin Peaks inspired music.

HOTT MT
Samira Winter opened up the night. She wasn't backed by her normal full band, but I couldn't help but see that they were still supporting her in the audience. That was pretty cool to see that they're all close enough to support each other even if they aren't playing together. Her set was like a soft breeze on a perfect summer night. And while she was on stage, her face just lit up. It was like she was providing everyone in the audience a wonderful hug.

Samira Winter
Closing out the night was Reptaliens. They're a band from Portland. For some reason, I love every band I see from Portland. I just can't help it. Their set opened with a friend coming on stage who was dressed like a forest creature who eventually turned out to be an alien. Their set was highlighted by the intriguing vocals of lead singer Bambi. Those vocals are just angelic. One could infer that there is more of a focus on vocals versus an entertaining stage show. This band provides a nice balance of vocals and hot pants grooves.

Reptaliens

No comments:

Post a Comment