Thursday, February 22, 2018

Three Straight Days of Music: Led by The Sweetheart Deal and Kitten

I recently had a conversation with a musician who is in a couple bands that I follow. She follows me on Instagram and asked how often I go out to catch bands as she notices that I'm always posting photos. I told her, "I used to say once a week, but I think it is more like twice a week now."

There are always exceptions to the rule. How about three straight days of music. Admittedly, that's a lot, but on this specific occasion it was worth it.

I was scanning The Hotel Cafe website and noticed that a band called The Sweetheart Deal was playing a set. In parentheses, it mentioned that Emily Kinney was in the band. Emily Kinney from The Walking Dead. I was like, "I want to go." Now this wasn't the first time I'd seen Emily Kinney sing. I actually saw her way back in 2013, also at The Hotel Cafe. Also, in the band with Emily Kinney is Paul McDonald. Paul McDonald is an American Idol alum. I hadn't seen him before, but interestingly I've come across a number of American Idol alums over the years. Just over the last couple years I've seen Zealyn (Angie Miller), Machineheart (Stevie Scott) and VIAA.

Anyways, I decided to see if they might need a photographer. I sent over an e-mail and got a response back. Paul responded back they sure could use a photographer and that they'd put in on the guest list. Got to say I was happy. Their set was a sweet 7 songs. One thing I couldn't help but notice via the photos I took and also from the social media comments that there sure is this lovely look of love that one can see in their eyes.

The Sweetheart Deal
That was a Thursday night (2/15). Way before that, I was scanning The Smell's website and noticed that Kitten was playing a FREE show at The Smell on Friday night (2/16). I'm pretty sure I was one of the first persons to RSVP to that set. Like with Emily Kinney, I have a history with Kitten. I first saw her in 2012 at the Bootleg Theater. I then got to catch a show in 2016.

I got to The Smell at around 8:30 p.m. By that time, there was a long line waiting to get in. When we started to head in at around 9:30 p.m. the line was twice as long. During the wait, Chloe (of Kitten) came out a couple times, running up and down the line with her phone recording the night. I think the first time she came out, not everyone recognized her. And then when folks noticed who was running, loud cheers went out from the crowd. From what I read, there were sound check problems that resulted in the delayed entry into the venue. It also took awhile to get into the venue as a handful of individuals tried to get inside without an RSVP. Though -- I guess it is too late for the fire marshal to do anything about it -- I did notice that they were eventually let in via the backdoor. I have to think that Chloe took care of them.

Opening up was La Bouquet. I've seen this band a couple times: during their Bootleg residency and at Broke LA. I've got to say, they appear to me to have kicked it up a notch. They came out rocking a thirty minute set. For some reason, I recall them being a bit more mellow.

La Bouquet
Then it was time for Kitten. Chloe's backup band started to warm up the crowd and the crowd responded by chanting, "Kitten! Kitten! Kitten!." Out she came giving the crowd a high energy set from start to end. She even jumped off the bass drum a couple times.

What's something I couldn't help but notice? She was barefoot through out the set and as she was jumping around I thought, "Is she going to end up with any splinters?"

What's something else I couldn't help but notice? Her bassist was covering the stage like it was her own living room. Stage right one moment. Stage left the next. Front and center another time. So not only was Chloe putting on a show, but her band was putting everything into it, as well.

What's another final thing I couldn't help but notice? Okay, so I was approached by a number of folks while I was in line. They all asked a variation of the following, "Is this the line for Kitten? Are they letting folks in now?" I was polite, but in the back of my mind I was thinking, "Why would we all be outside in line if they were letting folks in now?" I guess I'm just a grouch. If they'd asked "Is this the ticket line" I'd be less judgmental.

Kitten
To close out the three straight days of music (2/17), the Chinese Year of the Dog was being celebrating in Chinatown. Did I have any similar music history with the bands that played in Chinatown as I did with the other two nights? Not as much though I did go specifically to see Nicole Kiki Jaffe. Why? Well, in January, The Echo changed their photographer policy. I went on the second night of Lauren Ruth Ward's residency and was told I couldn't bring in my camera. While I worked out a photo pass, she hit the stage and I only caught glimpses of her set. I was impressed enough to want to see a full set. So when I saw her listed as one of the bands/musicians playing in Chinatown, I set my schedule up to make sure I caught her set.

Up first was Sleep State. A four piece band that played some hook inducing pop sounds. They had a friend filming their set. I couldn't help but over-hear her tell someone, "They're called Sleep State as in the best possible sleep level you can reach."

Sleep Stage
Up next was Zhao who hit the beats on his synthesizer. His comment of the set, "I'd like to thank Buzzbands for having me play. It is actually really validating."

Zhao
Nicole Kiki Jaffe then came on stage with her singer-songwriter vocals. One has to say she took the Chinese New Year seriously. Before the set, she learned to say "Happy New Year" in both Cantonese and Mandarin.

Nicole Kiki Jaffe
Over-all, what was most amusing to see: during Sleep State's set, the garbage trucks were out cleaning up after the parade that had gone on before the event.

And so that ended my three straight days of music. Was there anything on 2/18 to catch? I'm sure there was, but I refused to look things up. No matter how much I love live music, four days straight would have killed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment