Saturday, February 24, 2018

Quick Hit Band Interview: Silver Needle

Silver Needle at Saint Felix

A favorite memory from the band (via Johnny 99). Enjoy:

We were looking at playing shows in the Valley before we hit the Hollywood/Silver Lake scene. At the time there were tons of bands with great players so I wanted to season us up before we played in front of a larger band.

I bought a Music Connection magazine that listed all the venues to play and booker info.

I decided to call Aaah Capella Cafe which was run by Debbie/David. I called and asked for Debbie. A gentleman answered and said yes. I said David then he said yes and then I said I'm sorry. I mean Debbie he said yes. I was confused but whatever.

I described the band as a power pop high energy band with elements of Bowie Glam, Punk, & Hard Rock. Debbie said oh wonderful you can play right after Pippen. I said is that a musical and he said yes. I'm like okay. Again...whatever.

I asked what time the set was. They said whatever you want, any time after midnight til 4am. He said bring your own beer as this is an after-hours coffee shop.

So we get there at 10 pm and Pippen was wrapping up. Out comes a drag queen dressed like a female cop and she said she was the security. I'm like wow this is gonna be fun.

We load onto the stage with the backdrop of Pippen with a cardboard castle in the background. The seating was like a movie theater with staging.

Debbie came out and introduced herself. So nice. She said the other girls will be in around midnight and can we let her friend Spanky play a couple of acoustic songs after our first set. I'm like, sure of course.

We play the show and a couple of our girlfriends were there watching with the drag queens and they all started dancing in front of us. Amazing fun and energy.

After the set - Spanky plays a few songs, one was about a Hooker working for Heidi Fleiss then working the Boulevard, she was Scanadalous.

I loved it. What a first gig. Spanky was amazing. Ripped fishnets a big brown wig practically falling off with cheap heels and big hoop earrings also a little on the older side of the girls in attendance.

After the show another queen ran right up to Spanky and started yelling at her saying you’re hitting on my fine Puerto Rican Ass and slapped Spanky in the face right in front of my gear. I run up to grab my bass from the action. Wig pulling ensues, Spanky's falls off his bald head and the security guard queen comes in to break it up. Think Springer, but was more fabulous.

We kill the second set. Rocking high energy, everyone having a blast. We complete the last song. I am putting my bass down and talking to Dan. The next minute the walls start shaking and I see a disco ball on the ceiling swaying. I look at Dan & he looks at me and we both start laughing and say we rocked the world! We were so encouraged we thought this was a sign from the rock gods.

Well it was kind of a heavy quake and the power went out. We heard a drag queen screech and everyone ran outside. One of the electrical cables behind the venue was live. Crazy sparks flying everywhere. I said to the guys and told them this was the start of a genius journey for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment