Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Quarantine Online Sets: Version 14

Tuesday was an excellent day of music. Suzanne Santo hit up The Boot's Facebook page at 1 p.m.while BIIANCO took over Culture Collide's Instagram page at 6 p.m. I've followed Suzanne Santo for a number of years via Honey Honey. Honey Honey has gone into hiatus, I guess. The last time I ran into the band, they were playing backup for another band in 2017. So, yeah, a long time since I've seen Honey Honey. It was great seeing Suzanne Santo playing live. Her love of music comes through so clearly. I'm putting her down on my short list of artists I definitely need to see play live and photograph when music venues open up again.

Suzanne Santo

BIIANCO took her electronic-synth beats into the evening hours. A contrast to the more country-folk sounds of Suzanne Santo. Like Suzanne Santo, I've followed BIIANCO for years via Smoke Season. The one thing I wished was far better in this world of online sets: I wish technology was good enough so that I could capture solid photos of her slamming her synths and doing her artistic dance moves. Stinks that I can no longer capture on camera what I used to be able to capture so cleanly at a live show.

BIIANCO
WFNM on Wednesday's has recently featured some artists that I just love. The prior Wednesday, it was Disco Shrine. This week they had The Mowgli's. This is a band you want to catch during this period of social isolation/stay at home orders. They'll infuse you with positive thinking and if you're feeling down, they ask for you to reach out and say hello.

The Mowgli's

Jasmine Crowe came on with a light show going on in her living room. And her dog Wolfgang singing (barking) backup. She came prepared to put on a show. Rett Madison put on that Southern accent and charmed us all. Liam Ross started his set with the lights on low. Then we all learned that WFNM forgot to mute their sound. So we heard them talking about how his lights were too low. Hearing that, Liam brought in more lights. His music brought that chamber choir sound where there is just a touch of echo that came through his microphone and home studio instruments. Just perfect.

Jasmine Crowe

Rett Madison

Liam Ross

Sam DeRosa sang about former lovers, but with a smile on her face to show she wasn't holding any long-term grudges. She closed out her song with the catchy "Pill for That." The night ended with the pop cheer of Alke. The lead singer mentioned that this was the first time she put on make-up and gotten dressed for two months. I have to admit that I haven't combed my hair for around the same time frame.
Sam DeRosa

Alke


No comments:

Post a Comment