Monday, May 25, 2020

Coronavirus Diary: May 25

How many times can I write that I've been super busy working from home. So busy that I barely even left my home for a few days. How can one get any Vitamin D if stuck inside all day? Apparently, Vitamin D is important in the fight against COVID-19.

Anyways, things have chilled over this Memorial Weekend.

I had a dream Saturday night. For some reason, I was in a very small spaceship. Much smaller than my apartment. I was taking a lonely journey that would take years to reach another planet. The mission was unknown though in my dream it felt like I was out to save Earth and this planet was suppose to hold a solution of some sort. In an attempt to stay in communication with Earth, I flipped a couple switches. That turned into a disaster. Sounds started going off. The spaceship seemed to start flipping. I freaked out and returned the switches to their original positions, but I continued to feel like I was traveling out of control. Then I looked at my monitor and I was still on the proper course. In fact, I was travelling so rapidly that I was nearly at the planet. I don't know what awaited for me at this planet, because I immediately woke up.

Also, on Saturday I went outside to get some Vitamin D. I walked from Glendale to Atwater Village. I walked pass the restaurants in the area, taking a peak at their menus. I stood outside of one restaurant too long and one of the employees walked out to ask if I needed any help. I apologized and said I was just out for a walk. I felt a guilty.

After a couple weeks, I finally caught a movie, "Blinded By The Light."  The movie is based on real life experiences of a then teenager named Javed, a Pakistani living in Luton, England. The story takes place in the late 1980s during the economic turmoil that occurred in the UK. It also deals with the racial discrimination against Pakistanis. The twist in the movie is that Javed becomes obsessed with the music of Bruce Springsteen. In some ways, it is the typical autobiographical movie about a teenager who 20 years later becomes a writer and reflects on his youth. What makes this movie unique as compared to other future writer movies such as "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is the prominent role that the parents play in the movie as it explores the tensions between immigrant parents and their children. (A similar parent-children relationship was shown in the movie "Bend It Like Beckham.") Also, it gives one an appreciation for Bruce Springsteen. When it comes to teenage coming of age movies, do I think "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and "Bend It Like Beckham" are better movies? Yes. But this movie does explore that parent-son conflict that will be something that hits home for many.

While working one late evening, I couldn't help but hear the children in my apartment complex having the time of their lives. I think for a number of weeks, parents were keeping their children largely separated from everyone else in the complex. The parents seem to be relaxing their stance. I don't know if that is wise, but it was nice to hear the children having fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment