Wednesday, December 11, 2019

The Satellite: The Manx with SkullCrack and Wacko

It was a photography night at The Satellite featuring the work of Anthony Mehlhaff. His photos always capture the energy of the punk rock scene. The exhibit was held in the back bar. Now it wasn't just a photo exhibit. There were always bands playing. I caught the first three bands: WackoSkullCrack and The Manx.

Wacko
I was familiar with 2 of those bands though I'd never seen them before. I had wanted to catch Wacko at Happy Sundays Long Beach, but scheduling problems created a conflict. And The Manx has played at the American Barbershop and I've just not been able to catch a set.

SkullCrack
It was a wild night with the mosh pit going strong for all three bands. Wacko had a piñata that was quickly destroyed in the mosh pit. The band can contort their body and instruments into knots. SkullCrack brought out the over-sized skull mask for the bassist. Their lead singer screamed out their lyrics. The Manx had the body paint and video game speakers to continue the crowd participation.

The Manx
As for photographers, most were right in the pit, but a couple others just gave up and moved out. As for me, I tried to strategically go in during what seemed like opportune times. Of course, it didn't always work out for me. For The Manx, I went in for some photos and then started to leave. I didn't leave fast enough, because someone in the big pushed me hard in the back. I did a stumble, stuck my arm out and balanced myself against someone who was just outside the pit.


No comments:

Post a Comment