Monday, December 23, 2019

5 Nights: Sun Space to The Echo to The Satellite to Harvard & Stone to The Hi Hat

Something that I rarely do occurred recently. I went out five straight nights to catch various bands. There was a band or singer at each night that I wanted to catch so none of this was random. And some of this was also driven by traditions that I hold dear.

First night out was Saturday where I headed out to a venue I'd never gone to called Sun Space. It is a small venue that probably has a maximum capacity set at 35 - 40 people. It is a non-profit and has a Pehrspace vibe -- though much smaller. The location has two small rooms. The back room is dedicated to art while the front room is dedicated to live art (via their Instagram they hold comedy and music nights).

I went there specifically to catch Suzie True. I caught this band earlier in the year at The Smell and had wanted to catch them a second time ever since then. I love how their music speeds along, but the vocals have a melodic tone to it. Also playing was Lindsay B who closed out the night and Foxx Bodies who played prior to Suzie True. Opening the night was Girl Hazel. I only caught a couple songs, but am definitely interesting in hearing a full set after just that brief introduction.

Suzie True
On Sunday, it was off to The Echo to catch Kevin. I saw Kevin for the first time in August at Echo Park Rising and have been rather addicted to this band since that point. Quincy and Kimi have way too much fun playing off each other. It is just great seeing them having so much fun on stage. The night actually belonged to French Vanilla who was ending their tour. This was my first time catching them this year. I just love how their punk rock sounds include a saxophone. Opening the night was Mary and Heaven Pegasus. They switched off with each other during a 30 minute set. When one was playing, the other would rush off stage and change into a different wardrobe. It was rather amusing.

Kevin
Monday was spent at The Satellite to catch Livingmore and Oriah. Oriah opened up with some rocking sounds. Livingmore is obviously a band I spent a number of nights catching throughout 2019. And I should say that includes 2018, as well. I've mentioned to lead singer Alex that sometimes they go more country and other times they hit the rock tunes. I think this time they hit a perfect mix between the two. Closing out their residency was King Leg.

Livingmore
Another residency was ending Tuesday at Harvard & Stone. The Little Miss was playing her last set there. I previously saw her way back in October 2018 at the Resident. I did happen to see her as the MC at a recent Stories Books & Cafe. Her MCing was so funny, I decided I needed to catch her live as soon as possible, which was helped along by the fact that she was doing a residency at Harvard & Stone. I have to say I was a little tired out as this was my fourth night out, but I just did a quick hit and run and skipped out on the other two acts. I believe I was in bed by 11:30 p.m.

The Little Miss
My final night out was Wednesday at The Hi Hat. At this point, I was really exhausted, but I had to catch Zealyn. I hadn't caught Zealyn since last year's WFNM holiday party. This particular Wednesday night was also a WFNM holiday party. I just love Zealyn's vocals and leg kicks. Opening was FyohnaLeyeT and Spectre Jones. I previously caught Spectre Jones at The House of Machines. That band has the best vocal sounds. Unbelievable. LeveT had those youthful energy and pop vocals. Fvohna was electronic synths. Fvohna had one of those accidents that everyone hates to see. Her Mac laptop took a 3 foot drop from the stand to the floor. I swear there has got to be an easy way that would prevent that stuff from happening. I probably see it happen 2 or 3 times a year.

Zealyn
Most amusing moment throughout those five nights happened at The Hi Hat when a person in the audience set up a chair at the front of the stage and sat there throughout most of the four acts. Ah, The Hi Hat is not Hotel Cafe.

I don't know the next time I'll ever do something as crazy like that. Five straight nights puts a strain on the body. But I will say, I enjoyed all five nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment