Saturday, December 1, 2018

Whisky a Go Go: Royal Distortion

I learned recently that Royal Distortion is breaking up. IQueen and Pyn Doll are heading back to Greece. To me, and maybe to others, Royal Distortions is a reinvention of Barb Wire Dolls. I first came across Barb Wire Dolls in 2011. Based on discussions with the band via Instagram, I learned that specific show was their second ever in America. I fell in love with that band and have followed them ever since. After other bands I followed broke up like The Mulhollands and The Shakers, the only reason I went to the Sunset Strip was because of Barb Wire Dolls/Royal Distortion.

Royal Distortion
With their announcement, Royal Distortion mentioned that they would be playing five final shows at the Whisky a Go Go. I knew I needed to go to one of those final shows. This particular night was my night to head over. IQueen just has so much charisma on stage. One is just drawn into their set. And with a go-go dancer, it gives their set that extra vibe. It was a moment of nostalgia for me. I hope them the best back in Greece.

Jackson Taylor and the Sinners
Opening the night was Jackson Taylor and the Sinners. They were actually on a separate bill. Seeing the Royal Distortions was free, but catching Jackson Taylor and the Sinners cost some money. The door guy was cool and let me inside to catch their country rock.

Desert of Talking Shadows
Opening specific for Royal Distortion was Desert of Talking Shadows and Registered Offender. Desert of Talking Shadows put on a rock show. Registered Offender went with the flamboyant rock sound. Gabe Maska (bassist for Royal Distortion) also played bass for Registered Offender.

Registered Offender

No comments:

Post a Comment