Sunday, January 7, 2018

The Echo: First Week of January 2018 (FOMO)

First week of Januaries in Los Angeles bring a series of free nights of music at venues such as The Echo and The Satellite. I circled specific nights at various venues due to the bands that were playing. On Friday night, it was off to catch Drinking Flowers. I hadn't seen this band since their residency at The Echo in 2016.

Opening up the night was Litronix. This one man show put on a variety set. His set-up was a synth and a dance board. With that he spent his time dancing like Michael Jackson or singing like/about Elvis Presley. During one song, he screamed out repeatedly, "Elvis Lives." What couldn't I help but notice: he was dressed in red while throughout the set The Echo gave him red lights to play under. Red on red.
Litronix

Rumblepak seems to be a rather new band (their Instagram account started in 2016, but didn't seem to kick in until 2017) with a handful of followers on Facebook and Instagram. Yet, I'd estimate that all those fans were out in force at The Echo. And for good reason. This band memorizes. Their psychedelic sounds had fans forming a mosh/dance pit by the end of their set.

Rumblepak
The last time I saw Drinking Flowers, Jade dumped about half of her glitter on me (she was glitter bombing the audience and by the time she got to me -- I was at the end of the line -- well, she had half of her glitter left). That caused some long term glitter issues for my camera, lenses and camera bag. For months, I'd find glitter here and there. What was the first thing I did while watching their set-up? You're right: I looked for any canister that might hold glitter, because if the glitter came, I was running. Luckily, no glitter. Luckily, it didn't impact their set. Wonderful pounding sounds. What I took as a good sign: Someone in the audience asked me if I knew the band's name. I love it when bands I enjoy seeing win converts.

Drinking Flowers



No comments:

Post a Comment