Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Lauren Ruth Ward at The Echo

It was off to The Echo to catch Lauren Ruth Ward's January residency. When I arrived, I was told that there was a new camera policy. The policy is that the band needs to get a photo pass for you. I was disappointed. I took off, heading back to my car. I figured I could just come another Monday night – I didn’t feel comfortable leaving my camera in my car all night long. Then it dawned on me. Laura Ruth Ward introduced herself to me a few weeks back. Why don’t I just ask her? So I put my camera into the car and ran back to The Echo. The door guy let me straight in versus standing in line again. I then hung out waiting for Lauren Ruth Ward to make an appearance. When she did, I approached and asked about getting a photo pass from her. She was so kind and went to the desk to help me out. Off I went to get my camera and back I came into The Echo.

Lauren Ruth Ward's set, of course, was awesome. Her very first message was to the photographers that went something like this, “The Echo has a new first two song photo limit. I’m going to try and bring it for you all.” Oh yeah, she brought it with her free flowing stage presence. At one moment she flew like an eagle. Another moment, she balanced on one leg, leaning out above the stage floor. One couldn’t help but notice her band mate Liv trying to reach out to tab her on the foot to see if she could throw Lauren just a touch off balance.

Lauren Ruth Ward
Most amusing moment of the set started straight off on the first song: Lauren went up to Liv and put the microphone up to her. Dead silence for about 5 seconds. Ha ha. Liv was having none of it even though we all know – those of us in the know – that Liv does solo sets and is an awesome singer.

What can I say: I’ve gotten to hold her hand twice. First time up came at Chinatown Summer Nights when she reached out to hold my hand. And then it happened at The Echo when she once again reached out to hold my hand. Not a high-five, an actual hand hold.

Anyways, the set ended with her off the stage and into the crowd. A crowd that was very appreciative.

Awesome band support: Lauren mentioned as she got on stage that she was sorry that the set was starting a little late, but that she had been out on The Echo patio, listening to the band that was playing out there.

Lauren Ruth Ward
Opening for Lauren Ruth Ward were Nicole Kiki Jaffe and The Years. I unfortunately couldn't fully appreciate Nicole Kiki Jaffe's set. I spent most of her set working on a photo pass and running off to grab my camera. I definitely want to catch a full set as from what I heard was amazing. The Years rocked it out for 30 minutes. After their set, a photographer next to me was in awe.

The Years

No comments:

Post a Comment