Monday, January 15, 2018

Potty Mouth at the Bootleg Theater with The She's and Justus Proffit

You know it is flu season when two of the musicians on stage were seen sniffling and/or making comments about potentially vomiting.

Anyways, it was off to see Potty Mouth. A year ago, I saw Potty Mouth for the first time at The Hi Hat. I quickly fell in love with their sound. It felt more than appropriate to catch them at the Bootleg Theater. It represented a one year anniversary for me.

When bassist Ally came on stage to set up her gear, she put down a paper plate that had their set list on it. I took a peek. They were opening up with their pulsating "Smash Hit" song. That happens to be my favorite Potty Mouth song. I knew I was in for a treat. They just knocked the set out of the park even if lead singer Abby wasn't feeling top notch.

Potty Mouth's setlist
Comments of the set via Abby:

First: Oh man, I can feel the bile in my throat.

Second: I have to scream in this song, but I feel like I need to throw up.

Third (at the end of their set): Thank you for being here. Okay, I'm going to go pass out now.

My obsession:

So Abby has this quirk on stage of blowing her bangs away from her eyes. I was obsessed on trying to capture that moment on camera. Yet, it is a bit hard to anticipate when she might do that. 

And hey: A music label needs to sign this band so that fans can get a record!

Potty Mouth
Opening up for Potty Mouth was The She's and Justus Proffit.

The She's are from San Francisco. They were finalizing a West Coast tour. A few days prior, they were in Vancouver and mentioned that in Vancouver it was 32 degrees. It was, they said, much more weather friendly in heat wave Los Angeles.

One of the members of the band sported a Disney baseball cap. They had just spent the prior day at Disneyland. They were obviously thrilled with the experience.

The She's have -- what I consider -- contrasting styles. They have some beautiful harmonies against a backdrop of garage punk sounds. I suspect if someone heard them just doing an a cappella set one would assume they're a talented pop group. Instead, this band rocks with the best.

My obsession:

I found myself watching them sway to their sounds.

The She's
As was noted by Potty Mouth, a year ago at The Hi Hat was the first time that Potty Mouth and Justus Proffit played together on the same bill. What I knew, was that a year ago was the first time I saw both bands.

Justus Proffit goes through subtle switches in genre style. One time, they'll rock it out and the next they'll throw in a little country music spin.

Comment of the set (at the end of their set): How do we sound out there? Never mind. I don't care. This is our last song.

My obsession:

I found myself watching the lead singer switch up on the fashion. One song going with a cowboy hat. The next song going with a cowboy hat and sunglasses. Then going without the hat and sunglasses. Of course, the use of a cowboy hat might have psychologically played with my ears and made me think they were playing some country tunes.

Justus Proffit


No comments:

Post a Comment