Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Moon Honey with Wall of Ears, Smoke Season and Miya Folick at the Echoplex

It was Moon Honey's final residency at the Echoplex. And the place was quickly packed with fans. I couldn't help but notice when I arrived -- early to catch Wall of Ears -- that there were already three photographers waiting to get inside the venue. And, I made four. Yeah, we made a small wall in front of the stage throughout the night. I'd say three or four other photographers showed up later in the night.

Wall of Ears had me thinking jangle pop. Honestly, I'm not sure of the exact definition of jangle pop, but that's what came to mind when I noticed the 70's inspired fashion. After their set ended, the lead singer asked the many photographers, "Take any good photos?" Of course we did, and I had to ask -- having learned that they're from Seattle -- "Have you heard of Mommy Long Legs?" Mommy Long Legs is also a band from Seattle that I recently saw at The Smell. The answer was, "Yes." Awesome.

Smoke Season followed up. Gabe, I swear, was channeling Lauren Ruth Ward. I do love this band. As was mentioned on stage, she does get her exercise in during the set. I'm not sure I could sing and dance like Gabe. I'd be gasping for breath rather quickly. She did go through one wardrobe change during a song. The change was wearing a jacket that was decorated with lights and may or may not have entailed the risk of getting an electric shock.

Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" was playing while Miya Folick while setting up her gear. I noticed her singing along for a few lines. Well, to me, that was a good hint that I was going to love her set. It was a power packed set with depth and energy. Even then, she was able to take a moment and call out to her mom in the audience, "Do you need ear plugs?" The answer was yes and Miya quickly provided her with some. What I found via an Internet search: she found at least one band mate via Tinder. How about that.

Closing out the night for me was Moon Honey. They had me thinking space opera. They had the stage decorated with objects that represented the moon and honey clouds. Sure, these stage objects were there for the other bands, but it took on more meaning when they came on stage. Maybe that meaning was emphasized by the light show that flashed the stage and at times had me thinking of the first Thor movie. Yes, everything combined had me thinking space opera.


The Echo June 17

No comments:

Post a Comment