Monday, October 11, 2021

Silverlake Lounge: The Gooms with Chase Petra and Mashugana

The Gooms are the October residency band at the Silverlake Lounge. Like many bands, this was their first live set since the start of the pandemic. Opening up for them was Mashugana that had a nice chill sound. When the spirit took hold, the lead singer let loose with some vibrant moves on stage. The band got a touch excited when someone in the audience yelled out their band name with the proper pronunciation. I had to look up the word. It means someone who acts crazy or nonsensical.


Mashugana

Up next was Chase Petra. This is a band I saw three different times during the pandemic -- all online. I saw them playing Echo Park Rising, the Six at Six, and Wonder & Awe. Their music has a pop punk flavor to it. Having seen them online so many times, I was super eager to catch this band for the first time live. Yes, live. What did I notice that was different from catching their music online? Mercy, this band is so fun to photograph -- especially when the bassist and guitarist face off with each other.


Chase Petra

The Gooms closed out the night. Now, here's what I noticed about both Chase Petra and The Gooms. Their fans packed the front of the stage. I feel like this is the first time I've seen this happen when hanging out post-reopening at the Silverlake Lounge. No one was getting to the front of the stage if they didn't get their prior to the start of Chase Petra's set. The Gooms is just a fun band. They play their music fuzzy and, well, they like to make amusing facial expressions. I've followed this band since early 2019 and just was so happy to catch them again.


The Gooms

No comments:

Post a Comment