Friday, May 14, 2021

Online Quarantine Sets: Version 96

The reason I wanted to catch School Night this past Monday night was because Sad Alex was hitting the stage. I previously saw a short live set at the geometro party back in early 2020. It was one of the last times I went out to catch music (not the last, but close enough). Then going through my photos recently, I came across a photo I had taken of her. I decided to see if there was any new releases and was lucky enough to see that there was a release out called "California Queen." It is a tender pop song filled with wistful vocals. Her School Night pre-recorded set was done out on her Glassell Park home's patio. There was a wood fencing and shades hanging to keep out the sun. The patio was filled with green plants. Her pre-recorded set was only two songs, but she started off with "California Queen." Then she dug a knife deep into the backs of two individuals with the song "I'm Glad You Found Someone." It sounds like a song that deals with a friendly break-up, but no, it is a song that goes viciously after both the ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend. During her live Twitch interview she played an additional song live called "Out of Focus."

Sad Alex


Lionel Boy came up next from Long Beach. His pre-recorded set had some cool pop vibes. The melodies had this floating feather in a calm wind quality. Add in the fact that he grew up in Hawaii and you get some sun kisses from up high. I got to give props to the flautist who gave the melodies additional beauty.

Lionel Boy


Ural Thomas and the Pain closed out the night for me, coming in from Portland. His music took the Blues sound into a cheerful direction. His back-up band carried the best melody vocals. 

What I noticed: the room they played in was in all white -- floor and walls. Ural was dressed in white. His band was mostly dressed in black or other dark colors. It made for an interesting contrast of two basic colors.

Ural Thomas and the Pain




No comments:

Post a Comment